Nomex underwear

stephenh

I have a nomex balacalava and a pair of nomex socks. Single layer, worn for comfort as much as safety.

They have the FIA label on but no washing instructions. Can anyone tell me whether it is ok just to chuck them in the household wash, or are they liable to shrink?

Well, I know there are people on this site who CAN tell me, so perhaps I should ask WILL someone tell me?

StephenH.

Had a look at my stuff and it seems to depend on the manufacturer. My Sparco stuff says 40 degrees, no iron , no dry clean, no bleach. The OMP stuff says hand wash or dry clean! I tend to have mine hand washed for me.  :)  They still feel tight but I don't think its shrinkage!  :)

Any woman on here that can help ?       ( gets coat and runs for it)

I wash my OMP 3 layer nomex suit on a 40 and select "delicates" :blush:

No problems at all...

I knew there was a reaon I got married  :oops:   :love:

For all nomex stuff I'd use a 40 deg wash, non biological powder and more importantly - definitely no fabric conditioner. I wouldn't mind betting that the lovely way it has of coating things to make them smooth and cosy could well make them less fireproof in the process.  

Or you could go green and switch to ecoballs for all your laundry in any case  :love:

I stick my Nomex undies and suite in the washing machine after every event at 40deg, non bio powder following advice from the manufacturer. They have not shrunk after about thirty events, infact the undies are now loosing their shape and getting a bit baggy, (bit like the driver)  and are full of static when I put them on (probably need replacing). However I'm not sure if it is caused by washing, but my white suite and undies have tended to go a bit off white over the years. I then dry them on a hanger, not sure what would happen if you put them in a tumble drier.

:)   :)  :)  :)  :)

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like machine wash at low temperature, treating them as delicates like Blatman, then drip-dry.

Sorry, that should be ...treating them as delicates like Blatman DOES.

I stick my Nomex undies and suite in the washing machine after every event

Ooh get you  :p

I have my suit dry cleaned after every.... season  whether it needs it or not :t-up:  :laugh:

Excellent, now that we've got over the serious replies...

I send my nubile female slave down to our geologically warmed stream where she carefully and gently caresses all the impurities out of my racewear using only her charms.

Then she squeezes all the water out using her thighs.

Then I have perfectly clean and dry racewear ready for the next event.

Then, and only then, I take the racewear off. :p  :p  :p  :D  :D  :D

I send my nubile female slave down to our geologically warmed stream where she carefully and gently caresses all the impurities out of my racewear using only her charms.

Then she squeezes all the water out using their thighs.

Then I have perfectly clean and dry racewear ready for the next event.

Then, and only then, I take the racewear off. :p  :p  :p  :D  :D  :D

Does she do service washes? ???  :D