CHEVY V8

MattBone

A while ago I started a thread about SEiGHTs and it was finished by a guy who sorted & sold American V8's...

Does anyone know who he is or how I can contact him - I know he's got his own site...

Any helpful pointers - appreciated!

Whilst considering an Ultima build (yeah, like that's ever going to happen ???), I searched for US V8 sellers and came across this place.

According to their website, they can ship to the UK for about $300. I calculated 450bhp ready-to-run 5.7l Chevy inc VAT and shipping at about £5k, although I've never spoken to them, this is quite a bit cheaper than the UK sellers. Obviously you risk it having a problem, but the testimonials on their site are numerous and seem genuine.

Andrew

The general opinion is that the Chevy engines are quite a bit heavier than the Rover ones...

Looking at my VIN plate, it says the maximum loaded weight of my car is 900kgs...now a "standard" factory SEiGHT comes in at about 750-760kgs without driver, so you can go overweight quite easily with a passenger. If you add an extra 20kgs (??) for a Chevy engine instead it becomes more likely...

This wouldn't be a problem for an Ultima or Cobra that's designed to be a heavier car from day 1, so that's why you frequently find these engines in those types of car.

Not sure what the risks are but that maximum weight must be there for a reason...

Chevvy LS1 V8?

Smaller and lighter than Rover I think and:

Gross Power 320 HP @ 5800 RPM

Gross Torque 330 Lb-Ft @ 4400 RPM

for around $5.5k

Is that when too much power really is too much?

Mike

5.7L !!!!  :0

GM Parts Direct!

or have a search for "25534322  - LS1 Engine Kit" you can buy them from loads of places.

Would you?

Personally I think I would be in a wall/hedge/back end of a truck within about 1/2hr of starting it up.

Mike

Found this technical article on the LS1 here ->

http://www.idavette.net/hib/ls1c.html

Interested in the following comment on there:

"GM has had a hit-or-miss past with all-aluminum V8 engines. The first try, a 215 cubic inch unit used in early-'60's mid-sized Buicks, Olds and Pontiacs was a technical sucess and even spawned a high-performance, turbocharged, 215hp variant. Unfortunately, high production costs killed the 215 V8 at GM."

mmmmmm...... :angry:

This engine does sound very interesting...all this expense trying to tweak the Rover V8 to 300BHP, when you can just replace it with an LS1 and get 320....what's the catch ?