Electrical problem

kidz

Took my 2004 SEIW Duratec Westy out for a blast last night. Managed to scrape the under side hoop on the newly laid block paving the builders left for me !!

Notice my rev counter dropping off and then coming back on again. looked like the back light on this dial was also on and then going off, when the guage dropped off !!

Any ideas where i should look first, could scraping the under geabox hoop have disturbed the main earth somewhere.

Any assistance you can offer, would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Andy

Unless the cable for the tacho is on the hoop, that ain't it. Think of the hoop as an early warning system for yer sump...

As with all electrics, start with the earths first and go from there, assuming it's a lecky one...

Unless the cable for the tacho is on the hoop, that ain't it. Think of the hoop as an early warning system for yer sump...

As with all electrics, start with the earths first and go from there, assuming it's a lecky one...

Unless I'm going backwards the sump is an early warning for my hoop.  :)  :)  :D  :D  :p

Had exactly the same thing on my duratec. Rev counter fluctuating / dying then coming back - about 3 months on and off. Thought it was a dodgy connection on the back.......then it just gave up the ghost completely. After much scratching of heads,  :bangshead: eventually returned the ECU to webber who confirmed that the tachy feed in the ECU was dead. £60 to fix. (If you search there are one or two other instances of this happening)

Fitted the ECU back in the car only to discover that the whole of the dashboard was now dead. Eventually traced the fault to a blown fuse under the dash.  Can't really see how the two could be 'cause - effect' connected, but suspect that a dodgy earth caused the tachy feed to push back through the ECU.

Chap at webber (Peter White :t-up: ) couldn't have been more helpful and he recommended that the ECU earth feed is run stright to the -ve on the battery not the chasis earthing point - which I'll be doing this weekend. As part of the diagnostics of the problem - before I sent the ECU back to then - he also advised checking for any dodgy intermittent earths.

My rev counter is somewhat troublesome, I often give it a good whack :laugh:

It is old, plan on upgrading to a fancy one eventually. :)

To me it sounds like an earthing problem, dodge fuse. Can someone direct me to the best earthing places to check out first and which fuses...

It is a 2004 2.0 Duratec engine, rebuilt 2006.

Cheers

Andy