preparing a westy to race

JeffC

Jeff

I'm in the BARC North West Championship this year, based at Oulton. Details HERE

I think we might even be at Croft on the same day as you guys in August

I'm just going through the process of setting up the Westy as the BARC regs, have you got the regs for the NSSCC they should tell you most things.

Demon diddleys sell an "ultimate rain light" for £48.90, but reading the spec sheet I reckon THIS is the same.

Best of luck mate and enjoy your racing  :D   :D   :D

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JeffC

• conibear

• custardtart

• Darren B

plan is not to bin it , hopefully it will look the same at the end of the season          but feel sure the red mist will come down at somepoint  

Good luck with that - I haven't managed it in any season yet   :) .

Seriously, based on what I've seen from scrutes, here are a few other things to check before you turn up (some are a bit obvious and not all would necessarily get pulled up, but all have been at one time):

1) At least two visible throttle return springs (ones inside the carbs don't count). If it's a twin carb set-up, at least one should work on each carb linkage.

2) No holes in the front bulkhead that might let petrol through - this means (for me) taping the gap at the base of the scuttle, amongst other things.

3) Further to above, you must have a gear stick gaiter - but you probably already do.

4) Front and back towing points must be clearly marked.

5) Headlight (and other) glass should be taped (so that it won't all fall out if it gets cracked by a flying stone or something).

6) Brakes lights and kill switch must work (pretty obvious, but they are almost always tested).

7) At least the positive terminal of the battery should be covered (tape is OK) to avoid short circuits.

8) Don't forget your novice cross (if you need it).

Hope it goes well, and I guess we'll (BARC series) see you on June 14-15 at Croft.

plan is not to bin it , hopefully it will look the same at the end of the season  

Sorry for questioning your optimism Jeff - it's not always in your hands - watch out for the nudgers and rubbers  ;)  ;)  :mad:  :mad:  :down: they're in every championship and newbies will surely get a tickle  ;)  ;)

Big rolls of gaffa tape  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Fire extinguisher piece of cake to install, instructions supplied should help you. Nozzle at engine and other at driver groin area :laugh:  Make sure a device to activate system can be reached by driver and also outside of vehicle for marshal to activate. I have two, one by kill switch and other on dash.

Enjoy yourself and good luck  :t-up:

PS, when you get your licence try and do a test day, that should give you an idea of what it's all about ;)

8. Approved suit (FIA 8856-2000).

darren

Scared me (or Guy) for a moment there young Darren  --  but FIA 1986 is also still fine.

Sorry about that.  It was a wild sweeping assumption as pretty much all the suits on sale these days are to the 8856-2000 standard...

...I'm sure that your 'old fashioned' suit looks lovely  :p

You may need a £1 coin to get a helmet sticker off the Scruts. They often stick a BSA approved sticker on your helmet if you don't have one but you have to pay them - I think the pound goes into the beer kitty!  ???  :D

You may need a £1 coin to get a helmet sticker off the Scruts. They often stick a BSA approved sticker on your helmet if you don't have one but you have to pay them - I think the pound goes into the beer kitty!  :D

I think it's £1.30 now. Beer's gone up you know  :D

plan is not to bin it , hopefully it will look the same at the end of the season  

Sorry for questioning your optimism Jeff - it's not always in your hands - watch out for the nudgers and rubbers  ;)  ;)  :mad:  :mad:  :down: they're in every championship and newbies will surely get a tickle  ;)  ;)

Big rolls of gaffa tape  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

I definitely didn't plan to hit this guy but not much I could do wot with him spinning right in front of me at 90mph+ :0   :down:

l_93e894a936e37a987ead0c59031f0b03.jpg

Still, if you look on the bright side ......oh bug*er there wasn't one! Oh yes there was, I found out that 2" harness straps cause severe bruising even with a rib cage protector on   :suspect: ! 3" from then on!  :D

l_c3b28967c7b041a54bf2f25f4c70968a.jpg

Only mine and the other, every one else managed to avoid it although the silver sylva at the back ended up facing the other way on the grass and couldn't get going again.

After this I had a full cage fitted to the new car and a cross bar added on the drivers side because if i'd hit him in the middle, he'd have been toast and In the few years I've been racing I've seen this kind of crash 4 times in our series where the person in front spins mid corner and is left broadside to the oncoming cars.

The chaps instinct was to cover his face with his hands!

yikes that looked nasty  :0  :0  :0

so the moral of this story is try and be the quickest and get out in front  :oops:  :D  :D

so the moral of this story is try and be the quickest and get out in front  :oops:  :D  :D

.....putting you in exactly the position of No.42 when you spin :p