preparing a westy to race

JeffC

as title really what do In need to do ?

Do I have to have a fire extinguisher plumbed in , (ideas of costs ? and wheres best to buy) can I do it myself ?

whats the score with harnesses and age etc ?

pretty sure there will be other things..

any advice welcomed

TIA JC.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JeffC

• conibear

• custardtart

• Darren B

Depends where you plan to race.  The basics are:

1. Approved roll cage or approved roll bar (Blue book explains) with 50mm clearance from helmet and roll cage padding anywhere you may come into contact with it. - You've got a Caged one haven't you?

2. A Race national B licence (as a minimum) - which you should have from your ARDS

3. A plumbed in extinguisher (Rally Design mechanical 2.25l is fine (£100 ish))

4. A transponder. £205 from HS Sports for a plumbed in one (or more for a rechargeable) or you can often hire them at a race event, but you rely on them having some spares when you realise you've forgotten to pre-book one.

5. External battery cut-off and fire extinguisher handle (and internal versions of the same).

6. Oil catch tank - size depends on engine size

7. Approved helmet (List in blue book)

8. Approved suit (FIA 8856-2000).

9. Tyres that meet the championship regs (usually List 1B, but may be slicks or a more restrictive control tyre).

10. Tools and spares to trouble shoot/effect repairs.

11. Jerry cans.

12. Head restraint (either a high backed seat or a pad on the roll cage.  Again Blue book explains). No requirement for HANS.

13. Race numbers on side and nose.

14. Red rain/warning light.

15. Harnesses.  Pretty much all you can buy to meet the 5/6 points you should use are FIA approved and they carry a date label which a scruiteneer will check.

16. A nice big, bright oil pressure warning light that you'll notice whilst not directly looking at the dash.

17. Sense of humour when you're sat in the assembly area in the pouring rain wishing you had a roof.

18. A sense of realism in that we aren't all driving Gods and that you shouldn't expect to be able to go out and win straight away.  Just racing with a group of other cars is a huge buzz, whether it be for 1st or last position.  Too many people get hung up on winning when more often than not there isn't any prize money anyway.

Recommended:

1. Make the car internals as accessable as possible so that you can get to all the bits in the paddock without needing a car lift.

2. Fit one of those big longacre mirrors to keep an eye on the traffic.

3. Shift light (if you haven't already) as whilst taking off from the grid amongst other cars hearing your own engine isn't all that easy and you may have eyes on stalks to avoid the rest of the field so not get a chance to check the rev counter.

4. A stopwatch on the dash so you've got soem idea how long is left in a timed race to know how hard you need to push depending on your position (i.e. to chase or defend).

5. A tonneau cover for the passenger side to reduce cockpit buffeting.

6. A video system, cause it's great to be able to look back over your races (brings a smile to my face and gets the pulse going every time).

7. Spares of all the relatively quick bits to fix, so that you don't waste the whole race day for the sake of a spark plug, fuse or fuel pipe.

That should about do for now.  If you have any specific questions then you know there are a few of us racers on here.

darren

Depends where you plan to race.  The basics are:

1. Approved roll cage or approved roll bar (Blue book explains) with 50mm clearance from helmet and roll cage padding anywhere you may come into contact with it. - You've got a Caged one haven't you?

2. A Race national B licence (as a minimum) - which you should have from your ARDS

3. A plumbed in extinguisher (Rally Design mechanical 2.25l is fine (£100 ish))

4. A transponder. £205 from HS Sports for a plumbed in one (or more for a rechargeable) or you can often hire them at a race event, but you rely on them having some spares when you realise you've forgotten to pre-book one.

5. External battery cut-off and fire extinguisher handle (and internal versions of the same).

6. Oil catch tank - size depends on engine size

7. Approved helmet (List in blue book)

8. Approved suit (FIA 8856-2000).

9. Tyres that meet the championship regs (usually List 1B, but may be slicks or a more restrictive control tyre).

10. Tools and spares to trouble shoot/effect repairs.

11. Jerry cans.

12. Head restraint (either a high backed seat or a pad on the roll cage.  Again Blue book explains). No requirement for HANS.

13. Race numbers on side and nose.

14. Red rain/warning light.

15. Harnesses.  Pretty much all you can buy to meet the 5/6 points you should use are FIA approved and they carry a date label which a scruiteneer will check.

16. A nice big, bright oil pressure warning light that you'll notice whilst not directly looking at the dash.

17. Sense of humour when you're sat in the assembly area in the pouring rain wishing you had a roof.

18. A sense of realism in that we aren't all driving Gods and that you shouldn't expect to be able to go out and win straight away.  Just racing with a group of other cars is a huge buzz, whether it be for 1st or last position.  Too many people get hung up on winning when more often than not there isn't any prize money anyway.

Recommended:

1. Make the car internals as accessable as possible so that you can get to all the bits in the paddock without needing a car lift.

2. Fit one of those big longacre mirrors to keep an eye on the traffic.

3. Shift light (if you haven't already) as whilst taking off from the grid amongst other cars hearing your own engine isn't all that easy and you may have eyes on stalks to avoid the rest of the field so not get a chance to check the rev counter.

4. A stopwatch on the dash so you've got soem idea how long is left in a timed race to know how hard you need to push depending on your position (i.e. to chase or defend).

5. A tonneau cover for the passenger side to reduce cockpit buffeting.

6. A video system, cause it's great to be able to look back over your races (brings a smile to my face and gets the pulse going every time).

7. Spares of all the relatively quick bits to fix, so that you don't waste the whole race day for the sake of a spark plug, fuse or fuel pipe.

That should about do for now.  If you have any specific questions then you know there are a few of us racers on here.

darren

That's a really helpful answer with pretty much all the basic info you need.

What race series are you thinking of joining?

one set of tyres per race  £700  2-3  hundred per entry  

going on 1b tyres for my first year  :D

What race series are you thinking of joining?

want to do this one http://www.darlington-motor-club.org.uk/series_home.php?seriesid=11

but If im allowed I will prob look at some other events I could have a got at ,suppose my car will restrict my choice though  ???  :suspect:  :suspect:

Sorry mate your car is too nice to race  :p

Probably a bit far for you but there's Castle Coombe GT racing which is pretty open.

Sorry mate your car is too nice to race

plan is not to bin it , hopefully it will look the same at the end of the season  ???  :suspect:  :oops:   :blush: but feel sure the red mist will come down at somepoint  :blush:

Will the forecourt prices be going up to fund your habit?  :p

Will the forecourt prices be going up to fund your habit?  :p

nooooooo they will be cheaper to fund racing.... stack em high and sell em cheap  ;)  ;)  :t-up: