Any Joe Cocker fans about?

brianm

I was aged 17 (1974) when I began to appreciate that Joe Cocker's music was the 'genuine article' & born of his love of Blues, Soul, original R&B music: in short, black music per se. My unhesitating recommendations would be: Stingray (1976); I Can Stand A Little Rain (1974); and Jamaica Say You Will (1975). All three are packed with songs that stay with you for life and imagine how many times you will listen to them in an appreciation that does not diminish over that long period?! All three feature musicians and backing singers of legendary status and the arrangements of contributory songwriters' songs allow JC to sing at his best; with the likes of Cornell Dupree, Eric Gale, Steve Gadd, Jim Horn (alto sax), and the brilliant, Richard Tee on piano, organ, electric piano in the case of the first mentioned. Other much sought after studio musicians played on the other two. I recall walking into a pub in Sharrow Vale in Sheffield, shortly after the release of Stingray to find JC sitting at one of the tables with a friend & just quietly chatting. I was almost rooted to the spot, but resisted the enormous temptation to disturb him and express my thanks for the music he had made during his career and rise from a modest background in Crookes. It just so happens that today, 3rd July 2024, I am sat listening to Stingray for the N'th time, aged almost 67. I do so with the same amount of pleasure and appreciation that I showed to that record in 1976, shortly after buying it. THAT IS BEYOND VALUE FOR MONEY!

17 year thread resurrection  😲   is that a record ??