Mobile Phones for students

kipford

No 1 Son went to Uni at the weekend. I renewed his contract phone about 3 weeks ago and got him a new one. Coverage on his Halls post code was stated as good. When we get there, in his room coverage is intermittent to say the least!

What to do? I don't think T-Mobile are going to do anything about it. FAQ's say coverage cannot be guarenteed inside any house  :p  so the get out is there.

Don't think they will allow me to cancel contract without some form of penalty  :down: . So I could give his phone to my wife (her PAYG is just about knackered) and buy no 1 son a  new PAYG.

Problem is what deal to go with  :bangshead:   :bangshead:  I have looked at price runner etc, has anyone just sorted out a mobile for a sibling, your help will be appreciated.   :D

My grandson has a sim card from O2 Genie - for £15 a month he has 500 texts and £15 of calls. (and I pay  :down:

This is O2 where you get the sim card separately from the phone.

I have the same (for £10 a month I have 300 texts) and I find coverage pretty good.

Sod's Law says that whatever one you picked, it would be rubbish reception when you got there.

After no. 1 daughter, we told the others to find which operator had the best reception where they would be most, room, union, town etc. And then we used text cos it seems to be persistent in trying to deliver them so if it doesn't get thru right now it will try again later for up to 24 hours.

The other thing we learnt with No. 1 son is that it doesn't matter how good the reception is if he turns the phone off to avoid being disturbed after a late night, which he frequently did. Similarly if he doesn't reply to texts asking about his condition cos he knows he's OK.

No. 2 daughter called regularly from a phone box cos she'd used her month's text allowance on her mates by end of week 2.

We learnt that no news is good news and bad news travels very fast. But that's man think, mothers think differently.

David

Children, who'd have 'em? :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

When I went to school I never had a phone!

And when i got home if I wanted to use the phone....

I had to walk down to the corner of our road and use the one you put a coin in and press button A....... ???

Or was it B. ???  ???

That was in 1962 tho! :p  :p

The world still turned around every day without them!

( sounding like "Piston Broke" now! ) :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

When I went to school I never had a phone!

And when i got home if I wanted to use the phone....

I had to walk down to the corner of our road and use the one you put a coin in and press button A....... ???

Or was it B. ???  ???

That was in 1962 tho! :p  :p

The world still turned around every day without them!

( sounding like "Piston Broke" now! ) :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

Nuts

Ive modernised , Got a ebayjob for £12.50 and  have pay as u go with a £10 top up card that so far has lasted me 4 years .

I still have  £9.50 left on it

:cool:  :oops:  :cool: