Smiths electric oil pressuer gauge

chasf42

I have just replaced the leaky mechanical oil presure gauge with a Smiths electric one.

The needle seems vey slow to move, taking 30 seconds from 0 to 70 lbs and then the same to fall after engine stopped.  The mechanical gauge always moved over in a few seconds once the engine fired.

I have tried the gauge shorted to earth, i.e. no sender, and it is still slow to move. :down:

Should it be slow to respond, i.e. damped like a petrol gauge?  I would have expected a quick response on an oil gauge.

The electric gauge on my Westfield ( the standard VDO) is fast reponding, so fastish ones are available and a good idea

Didn't know Smiffs were still around, from the test you made you do seme to have  a slow device. Dustbin/wallet time ?