helicopter turbine for turbo

sport 2000 Dan

Hi all got this e-mail from a freind thought it may be of interest,

This is Nick Mann's hillclimb car.( I use to service for him when he had a V8 Morris Minor)  It uses a Ford BDX engine with Westland Helicopter air compressor as a turbo.  The turbo is so big it has to be started with compressed air, once its running a gas turbine takes over spinning the turbo till the engine reaches 3000 rpm then the engine runs it.  The result is no turbo lag and produce's 500bhp on petrol and in excess of 700bhp on methanol.  

Wasn't that car at this years SS event at Shelsley.  ???  ???  ???  ??? or was it the Saturday event.  :durr:

Good God!

That sounds fantastic! :D:D:D

A comment below says someone needs some in-car footage... Not  arf!

kine'll, that sounds great.

Who came up with that idea..... "i know luv, lets stick a helicoptor air compressor on the car" :laugh:  :laugh:

Anyone found incar footage or pics of the engine yet?

Yes it was at Shelsley in May when the SS were there. The engineis lay virtually on its side to keep it low. The whole car was built from scratch by the owner and its 4 wheel drive utilising Sierra 4x4 components.

A credit to its owner.

Yep, it was at Shelsley but had some probs on the Sunday so only made one run before lunch...

Nick Mann's "Mannic" which uses a helicopter turbine to keep the turbo at 20 psi. The car is 4WD with a Ford 1700cc turbo engine lying on its side. The Ford motor is started first then the turbine is started up just before he goes to the start

more stuff with pics of the engine here and  here

I still can hear that old V8 moggie he used to campaign at Prescott all those years ago....

and he used to drive it to the events with the slicks in the back seat ready to change them over...

I'm sure when i was at stoneleigh Dax were in the middle of fitting a bell ranger helicopter engine to one of their cars  :oops:

Does anyone know if it made it to the Gurston down event at the end of May?

I'm sure when i was at stoneleigh Dax were in the middle of fitting a bell ranger helicopter engine to one of their cars  :oops:

Yup, gary is a bit nuts

Yep it was at Stoneleigh

Standard Jet Ranger engine has available

460 SHP max for take off

320 SHP max continuous

Engine itself is minute but the gearboxes are quite bulky.

Biggest problem (exception of very hot exhaust gas tempertures) is the throttle lag!!! GT's do not respond like a BEC!

When Rover ran the Gas Turbine car at LeMan back in the 60's Graham Hill reconded the lag was something like 2 to 3 secs!!!