SPQR valve adjuster

tankerman24

The Tappets on my Crossflow are a bit noisy, ( I know they are all noisy :) ) A friend recommended buying a SPQR valve adjuster, supposedly beter than feeler gauges if there is some wear.

Have any of you used one of these and if so can you tell me how many thou the gaps should be and if possible how many clicks that is. keep reading the instructions but want to be sure..

Im more of a polisher than a mechanic  :D  :sheep:

thanks

I knew the crossflow was old but I wasn't aware that the Romans had any :D .

The tool is now called "clickadjust" and is made by Gunsons, never used one but I would be interested how it turns out as I have an equally ancient A Series with tappets to adjust.

Wonderful device, didn't know you could still get them, they are very effctive at overcoming the effect of pad wear on the rocker.

Need to seek advice from cam supplier for the clearances -there can be a big difference over standard.

Wonderful device, didn't know you could still get them,

Nor did I!  The last time I used one was maybe 1969 on a BMC 'A' Series engine.

Just one thought though, if you are using such a device to dial out wear on a performance engine, I would inclined to change the worn parts as they will not get any better.

you can also grind down aset of feelers so that they measure the gap where the wear is...

I've never actually used the SPQR device but used to drool over them as a lad ( just  feelers and used to knock a couple of thou off for wear and tear!)

If you have a later crossflow I don't think that it will work, as Ford changed from the adjuster/lock nut to a self-locking adjuster.