Cam upgrade - which to go for?

Gez

I know its not even near the winter yet, but i feel the need... the need for speed and all that.

I'm pondering upgrades, and I'm thinking new cams, then head work and trottle bodies at some point too (maybe first, maybe last - I haven't decided yet!)

I'm currently running a 2.0l Zetec on Weber 40's.

My aim is for around 200bhp when all the work is completed.  Which cams would be most suited to this.  I'm wanting fast road use and only minimal track use (if any), and so tractability is quite important for me - I don't just want loads of top end power and nothing below 3000rpm.

Gez

eta current specs

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gez

• chazpowerslide

• nikpro

• Carl

Spend your money on a pukka close ratio five speed 'box.

It'll "Feel" like it's got 200 BHP and go like stink too.

Chaz.

Telling us your current spec would help mate !!

:p  :p

Oops sorry, i just did 2 new topics, and forgot to put it in this one!

2.0l zetec on weber 40's.

When wanting this horsepower are you keeping carb's or going Throttle bodies   ???

What do you intend to modify first   ???

If your keeping the 40's  Forget 200bhp   :suspect:

As Chas says you might want to consider gearing first

What gearbox do you have at the moment   ???

200bhp with TB's.  Haven't deicided order of upgrades, but may well do TB's first, or cams then TB's then head work.

Don't really want to do gearbox at the moment. although its currently on an MT75.

EvoMark has a 220bhp zetec on 45s and a good gearbox  , I will talk him into going to  the next n.east meet. .. blag a ride in that , its very impressive.. Im sure that will tempt you in to going the whole hog  :cool:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :D

For 200bhp you'd want bigger carbs or throttle bodies, modified cylinder head and cams.

John

Thanks John, thats pretty much what I said in the original post.  What I was asking was which cams to go for?

Gez

EvoMark has a 220bhp zetec on 45s and a good gearbox  , I will talk him into going to  the next n.east meet. .. blag a ride in that , its very impressive.. Im sure that will tempt you in to going the whole hog  :cool:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :D

Thanks Jeff, I'd certainly like to blag a ride (and have a chat about what he's got under the bonnet) if you can twist his arm into coming to the next club night.

I may well go for a type 9 eventually too, but I'm trying to take it one step at a time, and have decided to do engine first.

If you are looking for a good tractable motor then the one you have allready is pretty good.

EFI may liberate a few more horses and will make it more driveable low down in the rev range.

Cams and head work if done and set up correctly will liberate around another 10 to 20 bhp but at the expence of low down torque if on carbs (less so on EFI)

Bank on spending £600 to £1000 for a pukka head and cams (a lot of dosh for 10 to 20 BHP)  

I guess you current set up will be pushing out around 155 to 165 bhp which for a car mainly used on the road is plenty, at this output your 40DCOE carbs are begining to become a restriction.

If you are aiming for 200BHP I think you'll run out of induction with the 40mm carbs and these will need to be changed for 45mm items or 40-45mm throttle bodies.

If you sold off your old ECU and carbs and went for EFI from DTA, Emerald, Omex, Webcon, MBE ect you'll end up spending in excess of another £700 to £1000 for your EFI upgrade.

This can be done a lot cheaper with Megasquirt and bike throttle bodies.

A much cheaper option would be to loose the screen and as much weight as you can from the car and fit a better gearbox, you'll find the difference quiet staggering (even if you only do the 'box)

Chaz.

For 200bhp you'd want bigger carbs or throttle bodies, modified cylinder head and cams.

John

Thanks John, thats pretty much what I said in the original post.  What I was asking was which cams to go for?

Gez

Sorry mate, did n't read it properly.  :blush:

:blush:

Raceline may be worth a look here

:) 600 - 1000 pounds for head and cams who are you recommendinghere at this price andatthis power level ie 200 bhp is an uprated clutch a must?

Keep the engine as is if you intend mainly road use and maybe just change to TB's.

A 200 bhp zetec starts to get a bit 'camy' and is not as much fun on the road as a standard unit.

I've upgraded to a 200 bhp+ Zetec and its great on track but not as good as it was as a road car - even thinking of changing it to a track only car because of this!

For a reliable 200 bhp you will need kent FZ2003 cams, heavily modified head (enlarged lifter bores and solid lifters) and pocketed pistons to run the cams - in all budget on £5,500+ for everything including 45mm TB's, Injectors,loom, ECU and mapping.

I'd go for injection first and see how it goes. As others have said, there's no point going for more power on your current carbs. If you did change the cams first at the minimum you'd also need to stump up for a set of jets, chokes, etc. for the carbs and a rolling road tune. It just wouldn't be worth it.

Upgrade to TBs, make sure you've got enough fuel injector flow to go to 200+BHP if need be, and see how you get on. It will be a good bit quicker on TBs with much improved flexibility in the midrange, and this might well be the improvement you're after for road use.

Kevin