Sparking the fire

chrisinoxford

Guys, have built the car so far with ease and thanks to you guys able to complete some tricky bits, great learning curve thanks for all your advice.

Another Q? my original redtop vx 2.0 has the electronic bits for the injectors etc, so now i have 45 webbers on the inlet i guess i need some sort of distributor and leads to the plugs.

Obviously i understand the sparkplugs and the leads bit but what about a distributor? do i need a normal one with rotary arm or do i need something else? i take it i rip the electronic stuff out and replace with mechanical?

Just abit confused!!

Chris.

on the dissy I fitted on the new redtop last week luckily the drive peg  was the same but shaft was too long? there was like a ball bearing inside the cam stopping it  ? anyway 2 mins with the hacksaw sorted the job out.. that was a 87 dissy in a 93 engine..

stu may have had a more proffesional aproach to the situation  but a saw was the first thing I picked up :blush:

and from an experience I had years ago on a 16v astra van I converted make sure you get the dissy/ coil and amplifier and wiring  thing all from the same car .. I got them from different cars and it wouldnt fire  :(  :t-up:

on the dissy I fitted on the new redtop last week luckily the drive peg  was the same but shaft was too long? there was like a ball bearing inside the cam stopping it  ? anyway 2 mins with the hacksaw sorted the job out.. that was a 87 dissy in a 93 engine..

stu may have had a more proffesional aproach to the situation  but a saw was the first thing I picked up :blush:

and from an experience I had years ago on a 16v astra van I converted make sure you get the dissy/ coil and amplifier and wiring  thing all from the same car .. I got them from different cars and it wouldnt fire  :(  :t-up:

The ball bearing is something that is usually added to block the drilling up when the distributor is removed, for example when running 'mappable' wasted spark ignition. The hole is normally taken care of by the distributor, which has a small locating shaft with a rubber seal on it.

A 'standard' engine shouldnt have this ball bearing... :t-up:

Like your style Jeff :t-up:  :D I would of probably doen the same thing :D

Could always shove a Megajolt on it . You'd get better running/economy than with a dizzy via mappable ignition