Tall Westfield Drivers

james_wh_gibson

I am looking to purchase a Westfields Mazda SDK and have test driven a couple of different Westfields and I struggle for legg room, not suprising at 6ft 4in.

I am aware it is possible to add a couple of inches of extra room by adjusting the pedals, using a race seat and removing the seat runners.

Has anyone had any experience of this kind of modification before? Or any other modifications that can give more room. I would be extremely interested to hear.

I'm 6'3" and I took the race seat out and fitted a thiner GRP Plays Kool seat.  That gave me all the space I needed and didn't need to mess with the pedals.

Im 6,2" and have a narrow body car. When westfield made me a new chassis I asked them to make a couple of modifications to it. One of the modifications was specifically to give me more leg room. The bar that runs behind the dashboard was raised by an inch and a half. I also made my own floor mounted pedal box, which further increased leg room. I am using bucket seats in the car, but further room could be gained using a bench type seat, or just a cushion!

Calling Mr Willis  :D  :D  :D

Thanks for all the replies - Looks like it could be possible!!

Is it comfortable enough to drive long distances? I would love to take it to Le Mans.

I'm 6ft 2 and 19st and drove mine across the states last year 4000 miles in 3 weeks and also went to LeMans I had no problems at all.

I would if I built another fit the lowered floor so I can sit lower.

I'm 6ft 2 and 19st and drove mine across the states last year 4000 miles in 3 weeks and also went to LeMans I had no problems at all.

I would if I built another fit the lowered floor so I can sit lower.

Glad you did'nt mention the two of us in the Mazda Westy :oops:  :oops:

No just a bit tight with us two fat b@stards in it  :laugh:  :laugh:

I am 6ft 2 and found my SEIW a a snug fit when I test drove it. I found it very hard to turn the steering wheel as my knees were in the way. I fitted a spacer between the steering column and the fixing point on the chassis which raised the height and angle of the wheel. A small mod was required to the dash to allow for the new column height - job done. I have also got a removeable 260mm steering wheel. No problems now. My mate is 6ft 4 and he fits.

Alex Zanardi was strugling to fit in the BMW Sauber F1 car last week so he told em to cut a bit off the bottom of his legs  :D  :D  :D

And in case you dont know they are artificial

If you are buying a new kit, I suggest you look at the lowered floor option.  It will not give much in the way of increased legroom, but does help with seeing around the windscreen top edge.

I have an SEiW I'm 6'4" I fitted palyskool seats, and cut away the under side of the dash. I did nearly 4 K miles last year and competed in the car no bother.

Neil Willis - hes a short :arse:   :D  :D