wiscombe down

greenandmean

just this minute got back from wiscombe WOW!! what a hill, fabulous setting, fantastic weather,great company even though there were only 8 of us, it should be made mandatory to do at least 1 meeting a year at wiscombe.

round trip of 572 miles but worth every mile :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Glad you enjoyed your foray down south....

...it was a good day wasn't it.

A great shame it was so poorly supported, not only by Westfields, but also by other marques.

Also a great shame about the rather forlorn look of the two green MGs by the end of the day. There, but for the grace of God, go I....

My first time there, what a great venue, superb organisation by both the MGCC and Wiscombe Ltd.  Everyone was so friendly, even the Scurtineer had a sense of humour, wanted to exclude Paul Pocklington because the helmet worn worn by his on board teddy was not to the correct standard.  (10 mins of jokes about throwing teddies out).   :D  :D

What we lacked in numbers we made up for in competition, not too often you get a dead heat in the times.  

Just for all those at Ty Croes last weekend here's a couple of picutures of the paddock yesterday  :D  :D  :D

8632.jpeg

8633.jpeg

Yep, good day, thanks for everyone's help with getting my car started again, allowing me to do my timed runs...

Time to start taking it all a part now....  first upgrade is small fuel tank to stop the same thing happening again (convinced the fuel had all ran to the side opposite the pickup...)... and yes, I'll re-do the leads and fit a Lumenition ignition....

Rich

All officially timed runs count in speed series  ;)  :D even 3rd and 4th runs as long as everyone has opportunity  :D  ;)

I too had a great day excellent competition.

I am filling in my Technical Query form for third runs counting as we speak.  :bangshead:  :p

Rob

When the rest of us weren't trying   ;)  ;)  ;)

Not sure I can really convince even myself of that!!!!

Joking aside, it must've been a pretty mega run to improve by such a large margin...   a shame for you that the decision was made to ignore 3rd runs.....  Want to let us all know what you did differently?!?!?!  (You're in a different class to me now so it doesn't matter....!!!!

Rich

Rob

When the rest of us weren't trying   ;)  ;)  ;)

Not sure I can really convince even myself of that!!!!

Joking aside, it must've been a pretty mega run to improve by such a large margin...   a shame for you that the decision was made to ignore 3rd runs.....  Want to let us all know what you did differently?!?!?!  (You're in a different class to me now so it doesn't matter....!!!!

Rich

Ignore the hairpins there is no time to be found as long as you don't miss a gear.  :bangshead:

The time is to be had trough the trees after the gate After the first apex I was almost flat out until the first hairpin. There is definatly an optimum line of taking late apex's on both left handers. I was nearly at the top of third at the first haipin on that last run.  :oops:

Given a few more runs I could have gone quicker by being a little baver through the gate and down to the first hairpin.

Rob

You must have balls the size of oranges.... felt pretty scary going through that section at my speed (a gear lower).....

You could bring out a second book (To go with your "A Sprinter's 101 excuses") "How to drive like a nutter".  I could read it, but my right foot would still ignore it all...

....Might pay for your Toyota engine quicker.....

Rich

You just need to keep your foot in. I'll talk you through it.

The first left after the gate is taken in second with a smidge of opposite lock in the middle of the road you then straigten the wheel when you see the second apex and grip returns. Then straightline the right hander (foot flat) staying in the middle of the road for the first apex then easing off to tighten your line for the second apex now foot flat and keep it that way. The wheels will spin up as you go over the crest at the apex but keep your foot in and snatch third down the hill now keep your foot flat throuugh the right left until you get to the braking point for the hairpin.  :cool:  easy.

Rob

Er...

Whilst it's nice to see advice being offered, please remember that gear selection and throttle position also a function of what gearing you have and how much power you are running. If I were to follow Robandcollins advice in my car I'd be a gear too low in some places, and a gear too high in others. Folk with different gearing and power may find themselves crashing...

Er...

Whilst it's nice to see advice being offered, please remember that gear selection and throttle position also a function of what gearing you have and how much power you are running. If I were to follow Robandcollins advice in my car I'd be a gear too low in some places, and a gear too high in others. Folk with different gearing and power may find themselves crashing...

That's a good point for other people reading this thread... but Rob and I have the same engine with similar power and the same gearbox, we've discussed this before and it seems our rear axle ratio may be slightly different, but not a great deal, and he knew this before he gave the advice.

Rich

Er...

That's a good point for other people reading this thread... but Rob and I have the same engine with similar power and the same gearbox, we've discussed this before and it seems our rear axle ratio may be slightly different, but not a great deal, and he knew this before he gave the advice.

Rich

We do Indeed.  :)

I'm just braver  ;)  :p

Any one else reading this thread who isn't running a Xflow with 130ish HP and a 2000e 4 speed with 3.5 ish diff please dis-regard above advice. Thanks

Rob