Press studs on windscreen surround

sei20v

Hi All,

I am in Australia and have an Australia version of the Westfield SEi.

I am making a half roof for my car for those few times when it rains down here and would like to know how you guys have fitted the press studs to your windscreen surround ? I have a few thoughts, drilling (being carefult not to damage the windscreen) and either pop rivet or tap and then screw them in place, or, using araldite or other such glue, there is a product here called liquid nails that can be used on metal surfaces.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Andrew Miller.

The factory just drill & pop-rivet them in place. Might be worth removing the glass before you drill any holes as I don't think you can guarantee exactly where the glass will be in the frame.

Drill & tap would be a nicer way to do it as you wouldn't get the bulge of the rivet inside the frame potentially  taking up valuable space.

To save drilling too many holes in the screen surround maybe you can fit the half roof as they do on the later soft tops.

Just one pop rivet at each end on the front of the rail and a rivnut in the centre of the other side.  Attached to the soft top is a plastic "U" shaped channel which slots over the top and is held by the single central screw.

8185.jpeg

8186.jpeg

HTH