What are the widest 13" tyres available

RS WST

Sounds like you have a good tyre (ACB10) and I guess a compond that gives a good balance between life and mileage.

I would be looking to get some weight transfer to the rear under accn and this would mean running it softer at the rear.

Make sure the LSD is in good nick and the corner weights are close.

I would be suprised if anything bigger than a 225 section will gain much but I dont mind being proven wrong. It might be a bit unfair comparing old tyres with new - maybe your old ACB 10's are on their way out ?

Sounds like you have a good tyre (ACB10) and I guess a compond that gives a good balance between life and mileage.

I would be looking to get some weight transfer to the rear under accn and this would mean running it softer at the rear.

Make sure the LSD is in good nick and the corner weights are close.

I would be suprised if anything bigger than a 225 section will gain much but I dont mind being proven wrong. It might be a bit unfair comparing old tyres with new - maybe your old ACB 10's are on their way out ?

My ABC's are like new

My diff is new

Suspension is set up soft on the back

Tyre preasures were reduced for launching

I have done everything to move weight backwards inc, engine and box as far back as possible.

Tyres are all that is left hence the post.

:bangshead:

Forgot to mention the car is over 400bhp and was measured at over 360 ft/lb of torque on its last dyno cell visit some years ago

You should also remeber that ACB10 tyres are crossply tyres and the tread width is NOT 245 but actually about 215 . A Radial would give you more tread width if you think you need it for the power but there dose come a time when too much power will break traction no matter what rubber you have on it

Must admit, I'd like the difinitive answer on this. IMHO the width of the tyre has nothing to do with grip. Grip is a function of weight and compound, so if you widen the tyre, the contact patch is larger, but the weight per area is less, and so run cooler, hence last longer.

Wider tyres are generally used on the back to prevent the tyres melting. For instance, if you but a bike tyre on the back, it would disintegrate in a few yards, conversely, a really wide tyre would make cornering difficult. Ash has around 260hp on 1A tyres and only runs 195's, & puts in great times, I wonder why? I have 400 hp and have 11" soft sticks on the back, & it still spins up in third. Gone are the days of a binary approach to the throttle.

On a completely separate note, bling is ok in my book, be honest & don't dress it up as something else!! :oops:

Coat on in readiness

• 2 weeks later...

Austen, go for a bigger rim size and get the suspension setup right on the rear and it will help no end. Mine runng around 400 BHP puts it all down no problems in second.

I run 235/40 x 17 rears 888's

I'm running 245 Avons and my suspension is on the softest setting on the rear.

Might go softer on the rear springs and I've got some propper drag rubber coming for TOTB with wrinkle walls

Using some Mickey Thompsons ET Street / Drag tyres if they arrive on time.