Windy's new project

windy

Had some X pack arches on it, sort of kevved up bodykit from the 70's, which was taken off & flogged on Ebay.

Debating whether to use paint stripper next of go here for a dip

I'm looking to send the Pug there onve I have got it striped down to base shell.

When I was talking to them at the historic motorsport show they wer a lot cheaper than Central Blast and there process stripps all the sound deadening and underseal off ( Central Balst doesn't )

The also do a primed finish on request so it stays in good shape.

I have to admit I'm sending the pug as a trial for the Mk2.

BD for the new one then is it.

If you are short on space the offer still stands for me to *cough* store the mango machine for you  :D

Is it a dip and strip ?

What are the post stripping treatments.

IE what happens to the inside of box sections ?

Ash

There are two options.

Bake Etch Prime.

The shell is baked at 70oC for an hour.  An Acid Etch Primer is then applied and the shell is rebaked for 30 mins.

Electrophoretic Primer ( E-coat )

The shell is passed through a multi stage zinc phosphate and immersion paint process and then cured at 180oC.  This gives a 30 micron thick coating but is designed to offer 1000 hours salt spray resistance.  Due to the fact it is an immersion coating it is meant to provide excelent penetration into seams and box section.

This was the option I was going to go for, what are your thourghts ?

Rob

E coat is the best system especially when combined with a zinc coating.

The etch primer really is only for exterior panels hance any box sections that have been stripped will rust quickly. If going this route then chromate etch is the one to go for but I'm not sure if thats what they are offering.

Stay away from high build primers. They are the work of the devil !!

Graham,

Was I meant to be asking about a quarter panel for this off my mate for you? I vaguely remember something about it now. Which side was it?If you still need one I will ask. Its my age you know - I'm not yet old enough  :D

John

PS - nice to see that you've blanked the number plates out on it in case someone tries nicking it  :p

Yes spoken to the dippers today. The plan is to get the shell stipped competely bare including the rust pickling inside all the cavities. Then do all the welding so no risc of toxic fumes from uderseal or nice 70's lead laden paint. Put all the new panels on. Send the shell back to them for another dip & strip of any new rust, then e coat it. Central blast cleaning want more that the dip process & I some of the flat areas they can't blast otherwise distortion occurrs.

Yes BD engine is the plan. 10K throught the forests should be music :cool:  :D

Graham,

Was I meant to be asking about a quarter panel for this off my mate for you? I vaguely remember something about it now. Which side was it?If you still need one I will ask. Its my age you know - I'm not yet old enough  :D

John

PS - nice to see that you've blanked the number plates out on it in case someone tries nicking it  :p

Yes I need a RH quarter including the C pillar to the roof, cut off at the welds nicely so its clean.