Quick release steering wheel

Knightmare

Another vote for the splined one. The hex ones have loads of play which I've only got rid of by jamming the b******d thing on with ptfe tape which obviously precludes me from using the 'release' aspect of the ******g thing.

Mark

[serious]I've got the same as you, but mine has minimal play. I agree though, it won't be as good as a splined version and I'm sure that I've also heard that some splines are keyed as an extra layer of protection.[/serious]

[not so serious]Maybe I've just got a bigger end than you :p  :D [/not so serious]

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Knightmare

• Rich_No80

• adhawkins

• BuGsBuNnY

Is that deal available if you're just buying the Q/R boss and not a steering wheel? ???

Andy

You don't ask, you don't get. I'd give James a call and try it.

At the end of the day it's all new business for them.

Quite tempted for this meself.  Not sure it should be top of the list though :(

*trundles back to work to try and afford the list of stuff he's considering doing first*

I know the feeling, but then again I figure it's a fairly easy mod and a pretty cheap and effective deterent for the opportunist car theif. That said if they really want I guess they'll just take it - sad but true.???

Yeah i totally agree.  I'm just not that worried about my car being stolen.  I still think it'd be a good mod to do but i could do with a tonneau cover and perhaps an RAC bar and stuff first is all...

• 3 weeks later...
The hex hub have already been discussed and dismissed. See page 1 of this thread. They have too much play in them for most of us to consider them acceptable.

It also comes with a variety of size options all of which baffle the hell out of me so I’ll take someone’s lead if they would be kind enough to offer an opinion. ???

That's what they call the slug... just get the widest one they have then you have plenty of metal to drill into when you insert/weld the Westy column into it...

It has the splines machined on it which them accept the QR hub.  :t-up:

Blatman

The link has several splined ones too for about £43-49 ! Only the first one is Hex and I agree, don't like the sound of them.

The splined ones seem very similar to the Racetech jobby though.

With the hexagonal one at the top of the list I assumed that was the item at the top of your thinking. You should have said... :p

Thanks for the explanation Felters but think I'm sorted now. I sent some pics and a few measurements to Racetech and they are sorting it all out including pre-drilling the wheel and boss. Just waiting for the wheel to come in. So far nothing but top service from these guys - very impressed!

Jon :)

If you are wanting a small suede wheel, ask Racetech about some cheaper options that they have.  They've got a few Caterham branded wheels with an old logo on and some others with slightly mishapen c/sink holes - deals are there to be had!

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd better put my money where my mouth is so I bought one of the 3/4" splined QR hubs from Rallydesign....

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=900_906

I have to say its brilliant - really well engineered, has the same keyed part as the racetech model. I have a racetech version on my TVR and there's no difference. I can't understand why its half the price.

Richard