Quick release steering wheel

Knightmare

Right, probably going over some old ground here but much to the dismay of 'er in doors' (I did say I wouldn't start modifying it this year), I've decided to fit a quick release steering wheel.

My reasons, well it's stored outside under a cover and I'd feel safer knowing a potential thief will have to think twice about their intentions. So the question is this,. What's the best/easiest/cheapest to fit, I gather there is some modification needed to the steering column.

Thanks in advance.

Right where's this bl**** sunshine I'm finishing work early! ;)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Knightmare

• Rich_No80

• adhawkins

• BuGsBuNnY

My first car had a Racetech boss on it. This worked well. The current car has a horrible hexagonal thing on it. This is less good.

I hope to switch to a Racetech one in the near future.

Whatever way you do it, you're likely to need (as you say) the fixed side of the boss welded on to your steering column. Paul Jones will be along any minute to offer to weld it for you :)

If it were me, I'd go for something like the Racetech one. My current hexagonal one doesn't give me much confidence I'm afraid.

Andy

Yep, Buy a ractech, send it to Paul (Westfiledman) and jobs a goodun.  Just done this myself.  Very pleased.

Another vote for the splined one. The hex ones have loads of play which I've only got rid of by jamming the b******d thing on with ptfe tape which obviously precludes me from using the 'release' aspect of the ******g thing.

Mark

i've the splined one too. Sent the column to the factory and had it back in three days. Got the column lengthened when getting it welded too. (ooer)

It's pretty good although sometimes seems to have a wee bit of play as if it hasn't quite fixed on correctly. i haven't sussed out why yet. i'm pretty happy with it though.

finally got around to sorting mine today. took about 2 hours to do including extending it out about 2 inches so i could reach it properly,

I've dropped the guys at Racetech an email enquiring about costs as they don't seem to offer much info on the site Racetech. I'll let you know the outcome.

bit of advice - get the largest diameter slug available.

Racetech will explain... oh and their steering wheels are lovely too.  :D

You can count me in if a group buy is looking likely.   :t-up:

I've been considering getting one of these to go with a Momo model 26 wheel.  Anyone used this wheel in a Westie?  Any thoughts on the most suitable diameter to go for?

Cheers,

Steve.

I have a momo 26 in 280mm & it's perfect for a westy  :t-up:

A number of our group also use them, many for sprinting, well recommended....

HTH

Mark.

Ok, here’s the deal. Just spoken to some very helpful chaps at Racetech and they are prepared to offer a deal.

They do a ‘D’ shape wheel in black suede for £61.25 (240mm diameter) or £65.60 (255mm diameter) and the quick release coupling is £86.68, all prices are plus VAT. They are however prepared to do us a deal of 10% off if you ask for James and quote me (Jon Knight) as a reference; tel: 01491 822000. :D

Apparently the coupling is very compact and shouldn’t make that much difference to the column length once welded. It also comes with a variety of size options all of which baffle the hell out of me so I’ll take someone’s lead if they would be kind enough to offer an opinion. ???

See the website for more details Racetech steering wheels.

Hope all that helps, just got to prise my credit card away from the wife!

Jon Knight