Differential

adamnreeves

Hello All,

Yes I fitted this a while ago but I know more now, enough to ask the question at least!

The diff I fitted does not accept the westfield stud at the top mount, it is a bolt fitment, common enough situation.

I know that M12 x 65mm is the size but I used general automotive strength bolts, i.e. 8.8s. I torqued them to 40nm. Should I have used 10.9 or 12.9s or are 8.8s fine?

Adam

Grade 8.8 will be perfectly acceptable. You will break the Aluminium casting before the bolt.

With the best will in the world tensile strength on the casting will not exceed about 350 MPa. Grade 8.8 bolt is around the 800 MPa mark.

Dave

Adam

Grade 8.8 will be perfectly acceptable. You will break the Aluminium casting before the bolt.

With the best will in the world tensile strength on the casting will not exceed about 350 MPa. Grade 8.8 bolt is around the 800 MPa mark.

Dave

Thanks, one less thing I have to worry about, one less job I have to re-do.