Fuel pump

Hammy

hi, this may sound a bit dumb -just managed to get my Westfield fired up this pm, it runs  ( ye ha etc)!   However I've noticed that with the Engine not running I can hear the fuel pump ticking probably one or two beats per second -is this normal ? ( I thought it would have stopped once pressure was up and the carbs full). I do not know what the make of pump is- it has a square body and is mounted under the carbs, feeding a regulator.  The engine runs fine and shows no sign of over fueling, tick over is steady.

while I'm here - I'm running twin 40's on a X flow - Do I need a choke for cold starts ?

thx

Paul.

mine makes a ticking noise. i dont think its anything to worry about

I run webber 40's on an 1800 zetec and have no need for a choke

HTH

Fuel pump ticking is good and ticker gets louder quicker when running low on fuel  ;)  :D

No need for choke usually - just a quick pump on gas pedal to prime it and off you go  :D

I do not know what the make of pump is- it has a square body and is mounted under the carbs

Often mounted at rear near fuel tank ?? is it a brass bodied unit ?

Check fuel line and see if there's an inline filter between tank and fuel pump  ;) fit one in  ;)  :)

Fuel pump ticking is good and ticker gets louder quicker when running low on fuel  ;)  :D

by the time my pump gets a louder tick....i'm out of fuel :angry:

Sounds as though all is ok, which is good news - It may be brass bodied (looks  milled from a  rectangular block)... but its too dark to look now.

by the time my pump gets a louder tick....i'm out of fuel :angry:

Yep I can endorse that! ended up pushing my car up a Dual carriageway in Bury Lancs last Saturday. Lotts of cliking from the fuel pump. Must get my fuel gauge sorted!!!.  :blush:  :blush::arse:  :blush:  :blush: