What helmet to Buy?

salexander

Hi all,

I'm starting to get together the mass of new kit for my first sprint season!  I was originally going to get the cheapest legal helmet that I could find - like an OMP.  But the thought struck me that it might be useful to get one that had build-in or add-on spoilers, since I will be running with an aeroscreen.

What's the general view - are standard helmets ok, or do they suffer from lift or buffeting at speed?

Thanks

I used a cheap helmet for a while but at speed it did tend to lift a bit. Not convinced that the spoilers etc will be much better but I bought a new Sparco WTT-TK at Autosport anyway but not tried it yet. It feels great on and has to be better as it does come down lower as well.

I use the OMP Integrale Plus with my aeroscreened car; it does suffer from a bit of lift at high motorway speeds. But the buffeting from cross winds is the most uncomfortable part. I must admit I've also concidered trying one of the spoilered jobs.

chin and top spoilers can be purchased as add-on extras there's no need to purchase a helmet with them as integral parts  ;)  ;)  ;) a few of the fast slickshod class guys use em

I was originally going to get the cheapest legal helmet that I could find - like an OMP

I understand what you're posting  :D But would advise buy the best you can afford  ;) rather than cheapest you can find  ;) also buy one that fits you best - you're much better trying on as many types as you can, they all vary in the way they fit  ;)  ;) and use a balaclava keep inside clean  ;)

I use a Bell and with a fullscreen car no problems - also used it driving an aero screen slick car and no problems without any chin or top-spoilers  ;)  :D

For buffeting cross winds you need stronger neck muscles  :D  :D  ;)  :D

I'd be interested to try a chin spoiler helmet. Above 100mph the lift on mine is like having your head pulled off.

But as I'd only do 100mph on a track for short periods it's not that much of a concern...

:suspect::blush::D

I'd be interested to try a chin spoiler helmet. Above 100mph the lift on mine is like having your head pulled off.

You 'll be the one with the giraffe neck then  :p  :devil:  :D  :D  :D

John

A bit perplexed by this post, having ridden/raced bikes for the last 20 years, a westie with an aeroscreen is complete luxury.  :arse:  :arse:  :D  :D

Fangio didn't have spoliers on his helmet !!