Engine rebuilds are they frequent?

catflap

Yes but the Cossie is one helll of an engine for lots of reasons.  I wouldn't swap mine for anything.  Though will admit that the Vx is a better compromise all round.

Also, our garages are starting to look spookily similar: Cossie and Vx.  All you need to do is get some purple bodywork for the Cossie.

CatFlap, don't worry about hooge power figures, you really don't need massive power in these things to have a lot of fun.  Was having a ride around Donnington Park in my friends 120ish bhp X-Flow and it was an absolute blast.  They still really fly.  He only sulked a little when we went out in mine... and admittedly afterwards the subject only strayed once or twice towards a Vx transplant...  *ahem*  That didn't really help much did it...

:p

HAHAH yeh thats exactly why i want to make the right choice form the off :d

Besides i have friends with scoobys, and hay come on i aint gona start lettimg them get the better tham me in a line, :d

SO its goto so quicker , i figure a blade or vx engine should do that?:p am i right??

what the standard bhp out of a 2.00 vx?

I have heard of figures of over £3000.00 to convert from xflows to Blackbird engine. The person concerned gained about 20bhp and saved about 80kg. Thing what £3000.00 could have bought in engine and gearbox mods and he still would have had change.  :p

Juan

You going to Stoneleigh?

Catflap

My Vx is bog standard, apart from the injection, and a couple of QED 42H cams (I think) which are only very mild. It has bog standard pistons, rods, everything. The only other non standard part are the big end bolts, and that is because the standard Vx bolts are made of chocolate.............

Also note, fuel injection doesn't release any extra BHP over carbs. It does make throttle response much better though, as well as fuel economy (if that's a concern). Eg I get 40+ mpg on my trips to Cornwall, and late 20's/early 30's "around town". This drops a lot when I'm pressing on though :p

On carbs, I'd be lucky to see 30mpg ever, and low 20's around town. Part throttle driving is also.....er.....a little lumpy. Nothing bad, just characterful.

For comparison, the Cossie gets around 4mpg on the track, and that was before the recent mods to increase power  :0

A 3D ignition system in a carb'd car would see some economy return, and would make the part throttle response almost as good as injection. I'd like that for the Cossie as soon as funds allow.

Juans mates x-flow would p*** all over most Scooby's on a track with a competent driver aboard, and a good set up. You don't need huge straight line speed if your travelling much faster through the corners. You need to re-adjust your focus as to what constitutes fast. Have a search around the web for lap times at circuits and on the sprints and hillclimbs to see what comes out quicker "point to point".

I'll give you a start

here. The quickest 7 type is NOT a BEC, but a c******m SLR.

The Guy Gibson Westfield, whilst heavily developed, runs a full screen, and non sticky tyres, unlike the BEC and the SLR, which both use aeroscreens and VERY sticky tyres.

The evo 5 is half a second slower than Guy, and the 8 litre, 600 bhp Dodge Viper nearly 1.5 seconds slower. This is on a 900 yard course (although, to be fair, Curborough doesn't really suit a Viper! ). The long course (1500 metres/2 laps) records doesn't see a bike engine car anywhere in the listings at all, except for the single seaters (OMS, Novas, and Jedi's)

The long course records are here. You'll need Adobe to view them.

Do you get it yet.............................

CatFlap, JuanSolo is right, you don't need monster power to get started.

I was in a similar position just over a year ago, owning a 240bhp 16v turbo Golf, sold it and bought a 1600 xflow Westie with about 115-120bhp. It's the best thing I did :d  :d

I didn't want to be daunted initially so I went in at the basic end of the technology, sure I sometimes miss the outright grunt the Golf had (left many a Scooby behind) but also made me drive like a  :p

The Westie is brill and yes I do want more power now and an IRS back end (although sometimes I'm told my  :d is independant enough  :d  :d ), but for a toy in the garage I wouldn't have anything else.

John

Hey Blatman,

40mpg on a run, got a diesel  :d ?

Got to get myself a VX on TB's if 40mpg is on the cards, being a jock the 20mpg that the xflow does is very alien to me  :d  :d  But then again, what price do you put on fun.

Jeez, VX on TB's, really is a case of having your cake and eating the whole #### lot  :p  :d

John

Blatman - Yup, off to Stoneleigh on the Sunday.  Unfrotunately there are four of us and it's a #### of a long way (plus one car guys car isn't built yet, one hasn't bought one yet and another had a bit of bother at Donnington so wouldn't want to risk it) so we're coming down in the diesel barge I'm afraid.  My last excuse for not bringing the Cossie is that I'm gonna be shopping for the Green Vx so need the boot.

Our Vx is pretty much boggo also.  It's got SBD bolts and a couple of other bits but mainly it's standard.  Around the 180bhp mark on Dell'orto 45's.

Catflap, ok this is a bit cheeky, but, get to stoneliegh, or simply heed the advice thrown around these pages....search the net, or go to www.findit.co.uk you will find your dream westy.....I know that on that site now there is a VX 2L SEI wide for £7995......And let's just say that I have some "inside information" that says it can be bought for £7500  :d   An absolute bargain! pocket the change and have some fun, or spend it on  cams, throttle bodies etc and have even more fun  :d  ...More fun than a 175 BHP VX for £7500, is this possible? :p

Happy hunting, your dream is out there.

Cheers matt :d  

Mrs catflap is going to head down on Sunday  look out for her guys, sheel be in the scooby with CATFLAP plastered on it :d

10k is allot of dosh for a teacher, almost 2 years salary  :d

S youll appreciate my background research :d especially when I know nothing on such things, I don’t want to get a westy/cat only to find I should have bought a different type, this sort of thing you can never get form a test drive/ride.  

This forum offers me the ability to speak with loads of people together, something that is really beneficial to people like me J  I hope to return the complement some day by helping out newbies, as I do on the scoobynet forum

Its all light harted, and im sure you lot get board of such newbi questions :d  But it really does mean allot to us :d

Thanx again yall your very very helpful J

SOMONE TAKE MRS CATFLAP FOR A DRIVE  PLEASE!!!!!!!  Heheheh  (sheel be the one wondering around with a camera and note pad and pen, looking lost asking people  “is that a westy or a catrham???” love, this is the burger stand “  oh   sorry? Is it a bike engine burger stand?”

The next thing to do then is join the WSCC  :d  :d  :d  :d  cos thats the folks who are behind this website  :p  :d

You can download a form and join in - its really easy  :d  :d  :d  :d  :d

Blatman is 100% right,why buy a car and change it all.I have made that mistake,I so wanted a pre lit that I bought one with a perfect body/chassie but a **** engine/drive train/brakes which I'm changing now(slowly,VERY SLOWLY)and the cars been of the road for ages!(time/money I'm sure people know how it is).I've spent so much on the car(which I'll never get back)that I could have gone out and bought a balls out nut nut fast one by now,AND BE OUT DRIVING IT AND RIPPING UP THE ROADS IN MY AREA.Oh well you live and learn.

PAULIE i`m with you.

This is what i would like to avoide, i did the same thing with my scooby, bought a uk, and wanted more powere and spent loads changing it,  i dont have the time to do that again.

So i need as much info as i can form you lot , to make the right choise first time.

AND yep ill be joining :d  i love the scooby comunity i think they are a top bunch of people, and must admit you westys aint half bad :d   :p  (flattery will get me everywhere lol)

Catflap,did you ever go to Scooby sport in Basildon Essex?They have some top cars in all the time,and not just Scoobys.But sadly they charge top prices too.A mate of mine wanted an exhaust made for his 6R4 Metro(Cossie power)replica-£600+vat!I'm sure they just pluck these figures out of thin air.Told him to give One off a ring.

Never been Pauline, but i have spoken with them via scoobynet, they have a very good reputation for scooby stuff :d  their zausts are recond to be some of the best in the scooby world, made by hayward and scoot i believe.

HAY HAY HAY ill be seeing yall on Monday at the show :d me and MRS catflap will be together, look out for the blue scoob, is there opportunity to go for a ride in cars? or is it all in a show arena?