• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pincher

• wildwesty

• ChrisF

• Liam

- like a spare engine,

Remember I said this previously?  Well, I may have been closer to the truth than expected :0  I drove the car home on Thursday night only for the engine to chance its tune rather significantly.  From a mild tap-tap-tap to a thud-bang-thud.

I coasted home and put the car in the garage... leavinga large pool of oil behind me.  The hose running from the turbo oil-return had split and it seems I ran the engine for about three minutes or so with very little or no oil!

I've checked the turbo and it still spins ok but, I fear I may have funked my engine.  I'll see what the damage is when I remove the sump today.  Fingers crossed  :arse:  :arse:  :(  :down:

Neil

.....and connect the oil pressure guage and low pressure warning light up.

Taking the sump off is easy, getting it back on again is a b******d. be warned.

Sorry Neil, couldn't resist.

The last time I tried putting the sump back on, it went okay first time.

However, you mention the oil-pressure light.  I don't have one.  The two red lights on the dash are the handbrake light and the battery light.  The oil pressure sender is the furthest dial away from the driver.  Maybe, bad decision on Westfield's layout choice ???

Neil

You *need* a light...

I've had an oil pressure light come on in anger before, and there's no chance of seeing an oil pressure gauge under the same circumstances.

How woul a light work?  The hose hadn't completely split.  Therefore there was still some pressure in the lines.  Whilst the car is idling it's at, say, 2.5 bar, and increases as the engine accelerates.  The oil goes up to 4.5 bar, for example.  If the hose splits (Like mine did) and holds it's pressure at 2.5 bar, even under heavy load, what triggers the light?

Thinking of the space available, I don't think I could mount the original digital oil pressure sensor onto the analogue.  Though, I know this has been done on a friend's Quantum-cossie.

Neil

There is also sprinting on at Barkstone Heath airfield that day. Part of the RAF Motor Sports Association. It is not an MSA event, & if you have a helmet you can turn up & enter on the day. £35. Starts at 10ish & ends at 3 ish with some testing time at the end. Close enough to stamford to be part of your day out!!

How woul a light work?  The hose hadn't completely split.  Therefore there was still some pressure in the lines.  Whilst the car is idling it's at, say, 2.5 bar, and increases as the engine accelerates.  The oil goes up to 4.5 bar, for example.  If the hose splits (Like mine did) and holds it's pressure at 2.5 bar, even under heavy load, what triggers the light?

An oil light will warn you of low pressure, lower than 20psi or 1.5 bar, which you will almost certainly have done if you ran out of oil.

Simple to wire in 12+ve to a light, from light to oil presure switch in the block, you'll have to use a tee piece if you have a pressure gauge as well.

Have a look on the Burton Power site under Instrumentation and scroll down to Instrument Accessories. You want 1 x Adaptor T Piece 1/4NPT Pinto/Xflow/CVH @ £3.36 and 1 x High Pressure Oil Switch 25PSI 1/4NPT @ £8.47, plus a light and some wire from your local parts empourium...

HTH

barkstone heath?

where be that then?  closest village so i can find it on a map?

Mr Pincher :t-up:  whats the plan.......  ???

Ancaster

Cheers, Martin.  I'll buy something tomorrow.  That may sort out any future problems but I'm struggling to find small quantities of 90 degree metal that I can weld onto the Turbo oil-return.  The reason the hose failed is because it was too close to the housing... and melted. :(  That list on that page seems to list a CVH sump with thread, too.  I could return the oil via this fangly sump-plug connector ???

Oh well, ever onward.  Chin up an' all that :D

Neil