Spluttering and a muttering..

Boomy

Had a blat today after getting the starter motor working and fitting the proper filler cap (cheers for the advice and free gift!;)

Now when i hit the higher end of the rev range the car starts to splutter/stutter :(  It's a very precise and constant noise/effect if that helps pinpoint the problem btw.

By that i mean it makes the same perfect rev limiter type sound every single time and never deviates from that.

If you say leave it in 4th or 5th gear and floor it at low speed it pulls just fine, but as soon as it gets to the higher revs again it begins to splutter again.

Lower gears bring in the effect more quickly of course due to getting to the higher revs more quickly.

So, what should i be looking at do you think?

Dizzy cap, plugs, carbs need tuning, bit of dirty fuel maybe?

Only once during about an hour long drive did it seem to clear and pull well again at higher revs.It just seems odd that this has only happened since my starter motor problem and me plugging back in the alternator light.

Was just curious to know what the experts would approach first as i am sure, like with PC's it is a case of deduction by elimination.

1700 Vulcan Xflow with twin 40's btw.

Yup, start with the simple things like points (if they are fitted...) first, checking the contact face condition, resetting the gap etc. If you are in any doubt whatsoever about their conditon, or you dont know how long they have been fitted, replace them with new (only a couple of quid, but you may have to order them nowadays), or better still, convert to electronic ignition.

TBH, it *could* be so many things, but best start with the easiest/cheapest first :t-up:

worth having a good look at the rotor arm in the dizzy , make sure it isnt worn or a sloppy fit  ???

If you convert to electronic ignition, go for the Lumention Magtronic system, delight fully simple and compact.

It's got that on it, assuming it's that little grey box of tricks with the same word written on it as you suggest and has wires coming out of it  :t-up:

Will check cap etc then and report back.

Well bit of an update, didn't get as far as fiddling with any of the suggestions simply because i thought i would try driving it with the alternator light cable disconnected.

You may remember when i was fitting a dashboard i also noticed that the cable plugging into said alternator had split and come away.

Plugging it back in made the light on the dash come on, but it seemed either totaly off or very very dim when driving.

However, yesterday was the first chance i have had really to have a blat and i ran into the problems i suggested in this post.

So, a few hours ago i pulled the cable off again and after an hour long drive the car has behaved 100%.Not a single stutter or grumble to be had.

The next question then would have to be is this just pure chance, or can some electrical guru suggest a reason that this may be causing the problems when it's plugged in?.

High point of todays blat was going a bit sideways around a local roundabout on and off the throttle ( not deliberate honest! ) and a group of builders in a garden opposite all cheered  :D

Also passed what i think was an orange Caterham going the opposite way in Walderslade, dunno if that would be anyone on here.