Buying A Westfield

GlynC

Hi all

After years of wanting to build one and failing to convince the good lady I have the time!!

I have decided to buy into the family and have been looking at a 1990 2 litre SEi wide body which has covered about 14K

What should I be looking for as I am seeing the car for the first time shortly?

I have been told it's an extremely good quality build and has lots of history. Are there nay known uissues I should be aware of ??

Any help appreciated.

Also is there anyway of checking the history of it is there a central register or aything?

Cheers

Usual answer to this question (believe it or not, it's been asked before ;)) is to take someone along with you who knows Westfields. The best way to do this is to get along to the local club meet.

This'll have the additional advantage that you'll also get to see a good selection of cars, and let you know a bit about the range of cars that are available.

What's your budget? What do you want the car for? Road? Track? Competition?

Welcome aboard!

Andy

Thanks Andy

Budget is rather small at £6K

But I have a car to trade in which I bought to use whilst waiting delivery of another, so it's useful the one I have been offered is from a dealer.

Supposed to have lots of history

Want the car mainly for road use to start then who knows?

Perhaps I can convince my good lady that this is something that demands far more of my attention and cash???

I am fairly mechanically minded and have done lots of work on a variety of motors, so can spot bad workmanship etc. but wondered if there are things to avoid.

Cheers

From my experience of Westfields in dealers, they are normally vastly overpriced (because they try to match Caterham prices) or they will be a storming bargin because they haven't got a clue what their selling.

Ok I'll assume as you are mechanicly minded you can spot a any mechanical worries/shody Fiberglass repairs, afterall you as the driver are not insulated from them, so rattles and knocks are quite easily found and as such should be identifyable...You can then decide if it's worth it.

Check carefully (as with any used car purchase) that the V5, MOT, Tax, recipts all carry the same chassis/engine/reg numbers.

What you really want to see is a huge stack of invoices and if included pictures of the build. Then if you can, check that these are fitted to the car.

Earlier cars can suffer from come chassis corrosion, as although good the powder coating will eventually chip off. This is not normally a serious issue, but a good check is a very good idea. Perhaps a bargenig point, but if so get it fixed.

If you've never driven anything like this, they are all going to feel fast and "alive", but all the cars i've owned/driven have all been easy/light on the controls, drove straight, accelerated and stopped as you would expect. Anything different and I would start asking questions or beating a retreat.

As asked above, what you want the car for is going to have a big difference on what car to choose. A well tuned Xflow will be as/more powerfull as a lightly tuned Pinto, but the characteristics will be totall different. In this example the xflow a more revy/commited experience, the pinto a more relaxed cruise. You decide what you want.

Extras worth a bit more, but by no means essential, 4 pot calipers, RAC roll bar, Full weather gear, high back seats, locking bootbox, LSD, the list could be endless.....

If you are in anyway not sure, remember there will be another along in a minuet, plenty arrond for your budget.

Good luck, call if you want.

Mark

07860 582321

Thanks Mark

Appreciate the points you raise

I am going to see her tomorrow and will let you know what I find. It looks in very good condition from the photo's and the dealer in question doesn't seem the sort to sell something shoddy, it looks out of place with his Ferrari's!!

He has also told me there is a large box of information which he has for it so I can go through it all tomorrow

Thanks again

high back seats

Good call, I wouldn't be happy about driving  car without them any more. Think about whiplash with head rests in your tin top, then think about where your head will go in a Westfield without them. That said, it's not a reason not to buy the car, just factor it into your budget if you buy.

Thanks Chaps

From the pictures I have it has got decent seats fitted and full harness's too, must say it does look good on the photo's

Will tell you more tomorrow

Cheers

have i missed somthing here...... is that a pinto for 8k ???

it may be in good condition with a good spec and a quality build,.... but 8K!

have an open mind!

check out the cars for sale on this site, piston heads and believe it or not ebay. (but for gods sake dont bid until youve tryed at tested)!

youve probably done this already, but it does give you an idea of what you get for your money.

I would expect a top notch pinto would be 7k at most.

Ive got a pinto and am an hour away from harrogate. If you need a hand. P.S cant do till next week tho!

Mike

Thanks lads, appreciate the help and the concern Wildwesty!!

I have been hunting about for a while an haven't un earthed much better than this for the money, especially as I need to ditch another motor into the deal.

Failing this I will stick the existing motor in Autotrader and see if I can shift it and then be in a better position.

Cheers

:D

Reporting back as promised lads.

Very disappointing

Poor specimen in my humble opinion, looked far better in the photo’s

Gear box was like stirring porridge and, hard to find first, often reverse … seemingly with no gate to prevent selection by mistake. Engine sounded rough. General body condition was OK but all the “metal” bits underneath were rusty and looked rough. Lots of wires visable with tape on>>>>>>>

Had a quick test drive and basically it didn’t float my boat!

Back to searching chaps

By the way what is the difference between the wide body and the normal westy exactly, I am 6 2" and well built ... would I fit in the normal one?