Spare Wheel Retainer

pgh

Morning all,

Fitted my spare wheel carrier last night (two more bodywork holes down!;) meaning my next task is fitting the retainer behind the rear bodywork for the wheel retainer studs to bolt into.

I'm trying to come up with a way of accurately marking the positions of the holes in the bodywork for the studs to pass through. The positions of the holes is determined by putting the spare wheel into the carrier with the stud holes perfectly horizontal and vertical and then marking the positions of the top two holes onto the bodywork. Problem is, there's quite a gap between the holes in the wheel and the bodywork making it difficult to mark the holes accurately. Just wondering how others achieved this bit of the build?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul

From memory, I put masking tape on the body roughly where the holes were to be, put the spare wheel on, fed the bolts through the wheel holes to indicate where they should be, I eyed them up so that they were as near as right angles to the bodywork as I could see. Then took the wheel off. The bracket that goes inside the bodywork has threaded bosses I think, and obviously the body work holes have to clear these. So you have a vague idea of where they should be and a known distance apart. I then measured down from the return of the body at the top so as to get the holes parallel to something. Juggling these imprecise marks on the masking tape, I drew some circles as where I though was the best compromise of centre positions; these circles were just bigger than the bolts. Put the wheel back on, fed the bolts through again and satisfied myself that they were in as reasonable a position as they could be. Took it off and drilled the holes!

It is not critical as to where they should go but I wanted them to look right, like a lot of things with the body.

Tip with the wheel, put some self-adhesive foam tape on the back of the wheel where it rests on the body oterwise it scuffs the surface, or in my case gave an imprint of "Avon" in mirror writing.

HTH

Kerry S

PS Someone will come along and say forget the spare wheel and carry an RAC card :p

edit: Damn, must type faster

Get yourself a long depth gauge (machine mart etc), this should just fit through the bolt hole and extend down to touch the bodywork, it will then rest on the face of the wheel at 90 degrees for you to mark out accurately, otherwise you could always make something to do the same job out of dowel & a strip of timber screwed together at 90 degrees.

HTH,

Mark.

Also try (if you havnt already) placing the wheel on the carrier the other way round - i.e so the valve of the tyre is touching the bodywork - then there is less gap for the error to occur in marking the holes.

thats what i did anyway, and it worked fine.

cheers

Chris

Did mine with a long masonary drill bit, passed through holes on wheel onto masking tape placed on body then turned the drill a couple of times to mark holes. Removed wheel then drilled with 10mm drill, chescked in right place then opened up to 13mm.

Also try (if you havnt already) placing the wheel on the carrier the other way round - i.e so the valve of the tyre is touching the bodywork - then there is less gap for the error to occur in marking the holes.

thats what i did anyway, and it worked fine.

cheers

Chris

That's a damn good idea! Wish I'd thought of that  :durr:

Kerry S

Super thanks all. Just marked the holes with an extremely long pencil. I'll now go and turn the wheel round and check my marking before starting off with the drill again - brilliant idea, thanks.

All being well, another 4 bodywork holes done :)

P

I have a spare wheel and mounting, but no jack. And not much storage space. So this winter, I do believe that the spare wheel mounting is going to be replaced with a luggage carrier and aluminium box. Don't even need the foam; I am a member of the German Automobile Club.

Greetings from the continent.

Steve L

As Scott said can of foam ,also other benefit less weight.

Peter

even less weight if you ditch the can for a mobile phone and AA card.

I know, what a tart, having to call roadside assistance for puncture. :D