Dashboard questions with SVA in mind

Simon Furbank

I'm in the process of building up the dash board (Standard Westfield vinyl and standard VDO package)and have a couple of questions.

Does any one know where to get switch blanks and would these be ok for SVA? I'm going with aero so wiper,washer and blower not required.

What about under dash blanking/foam work? I've looked at a few threads and done a few searches but ideally a couple of photos in the footwells of a car with my spec. that has recently gone through would be ace.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The main areas re the dash for SVA is that the bottom should have a 19mm radius edge. It sounds like your useing a Westfield supplied one so this shouldnt be a problem. The other area is where the scuttle meets the tub. this is a common failure point and westfield do so covers at £25 a pair to cover them. My car failed on this area and I used some rubber trim to cover it for the re test. I had used pipe lagging which the SVA testers class as a temporary fixing, which is not allowed.

Hope this helps.

Mark

If your using the Westfield switches in the Westfield dash, put the fog light switch closest to the steering wheel as it won't pass on the other side!

Go over everything under the dash, looking for sharp edges, either file them round or cover them with Westie supplied bits or something that doesn't look like it will fall off easily! I used plenty of wide sticky backed thin foam, which worked well over the cross beam in the foot wells.....sourced from my work, but try Woolies....if all fails drop me your address on a pm and i will send you some.

Also keep the wiring harness well tied back, with cable ties or PVC tape. The inspector will identify any loose wires which could lead to poor connection / early failure

Andy

One edge that does often get forgotten about is the chassis crossmember above the passenger footwell. Aperently, the SVA inspectors dont like to see the aluminium panel that faces the cockpit forming a sharp edge where it ends on the crossmember.

Solutions people have used for this, included rounding the panel back with s file, or covering it in someway. I went for the latter; I used some of the rubber edging strip from the WF SVA kit, opened it up to a 90 degree angle, and glued it over the ali/crossmember join.

Rather than buying WF covers for the scuttle/tub joins I used some offcuts of the carpet set, attached with Velcro. Nice and padded across the sharp edges, but can be peeled off to get at the scuttle bolts.

After hearing tales of SVA inspectors tugging away at wires under the dash, I extensively taped them into the smallest number of groups possible, and then to the chassis crossmember behind the dash.

Fortunately being aeoscreened - no wipers/heater or anything complicated to hide/cover.  :D

No-one's answered about the blanks for unsused switches, wiper, washer, blower? Do Europa/SVC etc carry something to do this? I presume you haven't even got the switches, otherwise you could put them in to fill the holes even though they don't do anything.

Kerry S

Although I bought the standard WF dash, I asked for the mega... version; as it's for the becs with aeroscreens, it doesn't have the vinyl cut out where the the extra switches would go. (Although the alloy sheet itself is precut). So no blanks required.

Mine is a standard westfield dash. No heater,aeroscreen,but i had precut switch holes so put the wiper, screen wash and heater fan switches in to fill holes.