changing drums for disks

Charlieandj

Hi there, Me being new to the westy gang thought i'd ask for some advice as i'm no mechanic! I've got a 92, 2.0 pinto with drums on the back and the brakes aren't servo assisted so could someone guide me in the right direction to help me stop a little better!

drums are plenty good enough to stop a westfield so I'd say you should sort out what you have before spending time/money upgrading.

If you do a search then I think you will find similar comments have been posted before :):p

Do you know what you presently have fitted as a benchmark?

*If* the braking system is in good working order, the way to stop quicker is to press harder on the brake pedal. As you have noted yourself, there is no servo assistance - and it can take a bit of getting used to if you have only driven cars with assisted brakes.

Brake upgrades can be done. But converting to rear discs to try and get better brakes for the same effort is likely to leave you disappointed. It is usually far better to concentrate effort at the front end (the end that does the majority of the braking). Depending on what you currently have fitted at the moment, investing in some *decent* brake pads can make a world of difference...

HTH Stu. :t-up:

You would not want the backs better than the front.

I recently fitted CAt 4 pots and mintex 1144 on the front and they are fantastic compared with the old M16 setup. (8" drums on back)

however the old ones were about knackered (sticking pistons--lack of regular use i guess) and old glazed disc's.

So wether a change of disc and new pads for you will do the trick i don't know since i changed everything at the same time.

Now i need some better tyres to cope with the improved braking. I have adopted a sort of manual ABS (using brain and foot) otherwise just pushing the peddle hard will lock the fronts up.

I have a VX engined narrow body with live axle and drums at the back and find the braking to be spot-on, OK you have to use more pedal pressure than your average euro-box, but the feel and stopping distance is superb.

OK you have to use more pedal pressure than your average euro-box, but the feel and stopping distance is superb.

Which of course has nothing to do with the drum brakes, and everything to do with euro-boxes having servo assisted brakes, which Westfields don't have...

I do. Why? 'Cos of the amount of prospective and new owners I have conversed with who express surprise that a car capable of pretty rapid acceleration and high speed, considering it's "home made" nature, doesn't have a servo. The "nor do most racing cars" analogy usually works. Well, it's better than sarcasm :p

I suppose so, just that the post above mine said all about the servo, just seems that as soon as I post something you try to shoot it down in flames, I know we are in the same trade, but why the competition, seems childish to me.......

I am willing to be friends honestly!

Read it differently, and consider the context of the entire thread, not just a set of single posts with no coherent train of thought. Don't see it as a disagreement 'cos it wasn't meant to be, see it as re-inforcing your point about servos to the topic starter who is a newbie and probably unfamiliar with the whys and wherefors of Westfield construction.