Help!!

wil996

Hi all, first time on site.  Had my car a month now with everything running smoothly. Went on holiday leaving battery on charge, and ever since have a miss-fire on No. 2 cylinder over 4000rpm when under load.

Any ideas??????

From extensive research, the engine is a c20xe vauxhall, with twin 45 webbers, potted twin coil, wasted spark and sbd 967i engine management.

I have changed plugs( champion rcy9c ) and lead, cleaned carb jets, compression test good, swapped 2 & 3 leads on coil, fault stays with 2.

Should I be running unleaded plus fuel??

Any suggestion would be greatly received,

Sounds like you may have a coil pack problem, does the spark on no2 look weaker than the others?

I agree with Mark. If you've ruled out everything else (and ut seems like you have), it sounds like the coil...

Should I be running unleaded plus fuel??

Only if your engine has been mapped *specifically* for Super Plus. If not, for the road ordinary 95 unleaded will be fine, with Super Plus being a good idea for track day/airfield day abuse.

Sure its a misfire and not fuel starvation. Had the same problem on the pinto with twin 45's on #1, the aux veneturi's are held in by a small screw under neath the carbs, one of them when missing? It caused the venturi to turn inside the housing and cut off the fuel when not at idle?  I now have them all wirelocked in place.  Just worth a look something else to rule out.

Karl

Karl, you are a star.  Found missing bolt night before last, knocked one up on the lathe yesterday and fitted it last night.  Then went out and did a tank of fuel, ( just to check )!!!!!  It was nicely hidden, the tab washer was still in place as well.  Have wired then for peace of mind cos that fault was driving me nuts.  Thanks again for advice, don't think I'd have spotted it otherwise.

Wil

(back on the road for a weekend of rain) DOH!!

Karl.....genius. Exactly the same problem as of last week and ran across this thread by accident. Found the screw was missing. Probably saved me weeks of fruitless searching. A beer owed to this man :cool:

I'm afriad i can't take all the credit, Andrew Bradley at bradleys Garage in shipton under wichwood found the problem, after 4 hrs on the rollers !.  We tested EVERY thing even things i had checked already, we checked again. It was only when we pulled the socks off the filters that we notice that the venturis didn't look right  ;) .Sorted the problem.  I'll still take the beer though   :D

Karl