BARC Westfield Champs.

geofff

Hi Geoff.

Started off great, two second places, then had some reliability problems. Blown engine last time out, so still sorting this out. Out next at Silverstone (GP circuit) on 10th Sept, support to the 24 hour Britcar race so that should be good.

Cheers.

Keith.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geofff

• simon4007

• I.S.M

• Keith Scarfe

Hello

Thanks for the input Keith that has pretty much confirmed what i hoped the Championship would be.

Geofff i have'nt got my number through as yet. Just spoken to Nichola Bush and she is about to fax my application form to me (i think there is a backlog as she was in the office on her own for a couple of weeks).

Just look for the Yellow car at the back of the grid  :t-up:

But make sure you come and say hello

Thanks

John

Was going to ask you that Keith. I *should* be racing in the Britcar 24 in a Honda Integra.

Guess i ll see you in the paddock.

How you finding the Radical?

Hi Jamie.

Yes read your other thread about the Cadwell festival. Looks like you are having fun. How did you come by the drive in the Integra then? A friend or are you just paying for the seat. Would be great to do the 24 hr, I would love to but it must be so expensive. I saw a budget of around the 6k mark for one of them being mentioned.

The Radical is great to drive isn't it. Ours is slightly modified, basically an SR3/4 engine in a prosport chassis. So it is just as powerful but a bit more nimble therefore quicker than the SR's. Yours I guess is standard to be able to race in the Radical series. I could quite easily handle a faster (straight line) car but the cornering forces still astound me. This is where these cars a re so fast. After 45 minutes you just cannot hold you head up you have to let it flop over. Makes you realise what the F1 commentators are on about.

Look forward to meeting you at the 24hr race.

Regards.

Keith.

Keith

If it all works out i have come accross the drive through a friend and Nav-Sport. (rob navin) and alot of luck. Only did 2 20 minute ish races in the Radical and a bit of testing etc but agree even after that time the head gets heavy. As for the cornering speeds - incredible.

The little Prosport in the radical championships is still a very competitive car and gives the SR3's a run for their money. Very much hoping to stay involving in racing at that level next season, budget permitting.

I ll look out for you at silverstone mate.

Quote "With the current Zetec championship, there is still scope to adjust certain things. You are allowed to balance the engine, tune the ignition curve and adjust the cam timing for instance. This is what the proper engine builders do in order to get the optimum out of the engine. If you just shove in a lump out of a scrap car it is bound to be slightly lower on power isn't it. I severely doubt there is anyone bending the rules. It is a very fair championship."

well at least it got some people talking about the championship...........Er but i don't think i implied anyone is bending the rules, it is a very fair championship and i doubt if anyone has an engine out of a scrap car, even me with second hand bits.............. Its just the regulations as they are mean that you buy a new engine, then balance it, combustion chamber volume etc. Then there is a lot of expense in playing with cam timing and ignition curves................. it just makes the championship potentially more expensive than other ones out there thats all, and there are quite a number of others now. Just look at the number of MAX5 cars..................

One of the problems with more classes is: In the days of class a and b it was usually a class b driver that won the race overall (and often filled the first few places)as they had more power (often a lot more). The class a drivers got very little exposure, but sometimes won the championship overall.

We need more exposure, factory truck with spares at the races would be good etc etc. All championships go through highs and lows as far as number of competitors goes..the first westfield races in the isle of man had 6 competitors.........I don't think the championship is in decline at all, and even if you play with the engine to the nth degree and get a little more power/drivability you still have to be able to use it, and the racing is very very close. At croft 6th to 12th place was separated by 3 seconds at the end.....just i was 11th...but so what it was fun................

We need more exposure, factory truck with spares at the races would be good etc etc.

The first thing I knew about this series was after watching a race car is born.  There seems to be little talk about the series anywhere including on this board.

To equal things out always though a handy cap system adding weight as a penity was a good idea.

Hi orbv,

This is club racing not BTCC. The difference between the best laps of first and six'd place man in the last race was TWO seconds :D  I could have been passenger in the winning car and Mr Mowbray would have made the podium :D

I think more needs to be made of the series by Westfield. Promotion doesn't necessarily have to cost a lot. Especially on this site - how many WF owners are here?  ???  And the factory doesn't log on and look in?  Hmmmm  ???  And the factory doesn't push it's series / latest product alerts / sales! That I am surprised at.

The only thing I can think is that they use this site as a guage of there owner / builders and want to keep the whole thing at arms length.

Any legal eagles out there see a problem with "Factory" postings / presence on this site?  ???

Anyone in marketing want to comment about the lack of presence on this site?  ???

Ta

Geoff

:)

At the moment there seems to be a distinct gap between the first 5 (ish) and then the next bunch of drivers. At croft the best lap times of the front group were all roughly 1.35, then the next bunch are all about 1.37.5 ish. 2.5 seconds is quite a long time.

The other item that may help us go quicker is losing weight, with the new cage since last year the car is much heavier, so I and it need to go on a diet.....................I guess a lot of us are in the same situation.

Ability!

Experience!

Engine!

Gearbox ratios!

Live or Independent rear set-up!

Suspension set-up!

Weight of the car!

My weight!!

Luck!

& Money!

This guy said I'd be able to win in my first season.... then he flew off on his sleigh! ???:D

can anyone in the race series send me details or point me in the right direction  etc and ill look into putting some information up on the main site.

cheers

Barney

The series is "owned" by Westfield Sportscars Ltd. I reckon you should drop Richard Smith a line before we do anything, just to make sure he approves...

just on the publicity side of things why isnt there a report in what is happening in the westfield world?  surely one of the competitors could do a race report and send to the editor after every race, with an upcoming race list?  that at least would raise the exposure in the club.