Diff and rear end troubles

davebo

Was just about to fit diff (Sierra 7" type) to my SeiW build when I thought I'd better top up the oil. Drain plug on diff looked to take 10mm hex, but just can't seem to get it to budge. Have tried WD40, breakers bars, spanner and largest hammer I could find but not the slightest movement. Corners of socket on plug are now beginning to round. What shall I do ? Really don't want to take diff apart.

mine was the same when I first topped it up. Ended up warming the  plug up with a gas torch to crack the seal on the thread, but be very careful if you do this not to get it too hot.

Or weld an old allen key into it ! :oops:

Breaks the seal with the heat and ensures good grip.

P.

Problem is carl, I think the socket in the plugs started to round off so it probably wouldn`t take the impacts. Probably would have done it if he tried it first though.

:t-up: