SVA Questiom

Derby Allen

This is probably a silly question and i am prone to get shot down but here we go. During the build I have already put the doors on and fitted the roof, so all the poppers are in place etc, when it comes to the |SVA what will i get away with, I know the roof and screen poppers have to come off (not a problem) what about the doors though! will they fail it on the hinges or has others got them through. was going to leave them on for Monday just in case it rained then un-screw everything at the SVA centre.

Sure i will get some good comments.

Ps thanks in advance to all those that have got me this far with the problems. hardly seen the bed until midnight for the last week,

Build manual says not to fit doors and roof before SVA, I presume that's cos it will fail because of it.

I would have thought the hinges could be a problem...

Andy

my thought too but they are hidden when the doors are on also how do Caterham manage because their mirrors are attached to the doors!

I was told by the SVA inspector that you can't have doors on as you should be able to adjust external mirrors from inside the car -despite the fact that I can't with the harness on! With regard to the roof don't fit it and I am not sure the poppers will pass the radius test. The build manual says not to fit the roof or popppers until after SVA. I fitted the sidescreens to drive to the SVA and left them in Kerrys' Volvo on arrival at the test centre.

You'll never get in the car with the roof on anyway unless you can bend your spine in at least 3 directions at once :p  :p  :D  :D  :D

John

my thought too but they are hidden when the doors are on also how do Caterham manage because their mirrors are attached to the doors!

Cateringvans I was told now have mirrors on the screen pillars- apparently the guy at Derby has failed them before for having them on the doors for reasons as in per my previous post.

John

If the poppers are on the body you will almost certainly fail drill them off and push little plugs in to the holes.

The side screen mounting points on the windscreen pillars have to be covered with the rubber covers in the sva kit or they will fail also.

I drove to the center in my last car with the side screens on then took them off and pushed the covers into place the tester never made any comment about the ones inside for the little strap.

Barry

I drove to the center in my last car with the side screens on then took them off and pushed the covers into place the tester never made any comment about the ones inside for the little strap.

Same for me, Barry

All the roof popper are held in place with screws for now, so the idea was to take them all off and create a black strpe using insulation tape to cover all the holes, screen fixings will all come off, I think based on what you have said the doors will come off and i will cover any holes with nice self adhesive trim for now, plus take off the poppers inside that hold the door in place, just wondered that's all but now looks confirmed, may just tow the car with a cover over the lot to save time, sure i will fail anyway because the brakes are crap and unlikley now to get them fixed in time.

Thanks all.. Steve

sure i will fail anyway because the brakes are crap and unlikley now to get them fixed in time.

Have you got a LSD if you have take proof, My tester did not put the car on the rollers cause of the diff all he did was drove it round the complex to see if they felt alright then watched as I drove past him at 20mph and braked hard so as to make sure the rears did not lock before the front.

Barry

Barry

No it's not a LSD, shame that, he would have a job on locking the back wheels before the front because locking any wheel would be a miracle at the moment. i have this weekend to sort the problem if i can. sorry to change the thread.

Ps pedal is rock hard with very little travel, this is what i find strange

Steve

I found the brakes take a long time to bed in properly.

On my first test I'd only done 20 miles max, and the brakes failed.

Before my restest I drove to WF and back, then to the test centre again, so I'd done about 200miles in total and the brakes were then a lot better and it passed.

I would suggest driving there to allow your brakes to bed in, but there is lots on here about brakes and SVA if you want to do a search.

Mat.

This all confirms that the SVA test has now reached the stage of absolute ridicule

You might have a point there... :D  :D

At SVA they checked my Vin plate engine and chassis number against all my receipts etc.

I am now waiting (2weeks) for an inspector from my local DVLA office to come and check my VIN plate and engine and chassis number.   ???   :arse:   :durr:

You can get away without removing the popper studs by just covering them. If you get the bits that go on the hood, assemble without the material between them and just pop them on for the test. Doors remove and pop on the covers Westfield sell. Brakes may well be rock hard, as there is no servo, but so long as they work no worries. As for the SVA testers, it is not really their fault. Some halfwitted bueracrat writes a procedure which has so much interpretation left to the inspectors, there is no way it will ever be the same everywhere. Even the station which was the most critical (southampton) of Kit cars now barely gets mentioned in critical terms. If you have a walk around any kit car show looking at the cars pre SVA some are so bad it is a wonder they are on the road and no wonder something needed to be done. I for one would rather have a test where safety is the issue which allows us to continue building cars as a hobby

Had my SVA today see here...

If the poppers are fitted tight to the tub there shouldn't be a problem.  I asked Mark at Shrewsbury about the ones on the screen and he demonstrated that they only protrude by 4mm so only have to have a blunt edge and not be radiused.

Ref brakes, either pressure bleed them if you have the kit or get a local garage to do it, it seems the only effective way to get the air out.

TED

:D  :D