Installing the Diff

Mike Lloyd

Just tried mounting the Diff as per the westfield build manual, unfortunately the holes in the top of the casing for the long stud appear to be blind (threaded), and so the stud cant be drifted through, anyoune else had this problem?

:durr:  :durr:  :durr:

Oh yes, its a Sierra diff from a 92 GLS ( 7 1/2" i think).

Any advice appreciated

Some diffs have the long shaft that passes through casing and some have a bolt either side, sounds like you have the one with bolt either side!

Hope this helps

I was confused by this but after a few choice words that made SWMBO leave the garage I noticed my manual had a hand-written amendment on the picture saying it could either be the one long bolt or 2 short bolts.

TED

:D  :D

Hi,

I could be wrong... :D  :D

But from what I remember, and it was a while ago now, I had a long stud through the bottom of the diff, and two bolts into the top.

Just don't spend 2 hrs struggleing to fit the bottom stud in, only to realise the washers your trying to use are too small for the stud to pass through.   :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :arse:

You've got two options.

1) Use bolts.

2) Drill out the threads and use the long stud.

I went for option 2.

Richard.