Rear wheel stud length

Tony Hughes

Hi All,

The rear wheel studs on my 1800 Madness kit are too long to be able to do up the 'closed' chromed nuts supplied.  Westfield advise cutting the studs down but before doing this I'd like to know if others have had this issue and how they have overcome it eg: fit spacers and widen the track - there looks room in the arches but the geometry will be affected?

Grateful for any advice as usual!

Tony

You can replace studs with shorter ones  :D  :D There's a couple of lenght options - studs available from Ford  :D  ;)

I just changed to open ended wheel nuts; I knew with my luck, if I shortened the studs I'd find myself needing longer ones again within weeks  :(

Yep, new wheel nuts are on my list of things to be changed. Just don't like the closed ones, and mine are getting a bit mangled thanks to our local tyre place :angry:

Andy

I cut mine down in lengh. Used a cutting disc in the angle grinder and filed the ends, Job done

Barry

I posted a thread about this some months ago. Until the body was on and I could get an idea where the wheels were going to sit laterally, I bought some open ended nuts to tempoarily hold the wheels on. Still have them if you want them.

With body on, I bought some 10mm spacers and closed nuts were fine.

Kerry S

As Kerry says you will need 10 mm spacers otherwise the wheels sit too far inside the archs at the back. Mine came with open wheel nuts, but without spcers the studs are above the outer face - SVA fail. Fit 10mm spacers. I bought mine from a local club member (thanks Fish)

John

As Kerry says you will need 10 mm spacers otherwise the wheels sit too far inside the archs at the back. Mine came with open wheel nuts, but without spcers the studs are above the outer face - SVA fail. Fit 10mm spacers. I bought mine from a local club member (thanks Fish)

John

That depends on the offset of your rear wheels though. With mine, the wheel has enough offset to fit properly inside the arch, and the wheel nuts disappear right down into the hub, but without open ended nuts, (or shortening the studs) you couldn't do them up. As I don't intend to keep the current wheels for ever, it seemed more prudent to leave the studs as they were - just in case I need to use spacers in the future.

John

That depends on the offset of your rear wheels though. With mine, the wheel has enough offset to fit properly inside the arch, and the wheel nuts disappear right down into the hub, but without open ended nuts, (or shortening the studs) you couldn't do them up. As I don't intend to keep the current wheels for ever, it seemed more prudent to leave the studs as they were - just in case I need to use spacers in the future.

No arguments there, however all the "madness" kits' wheels seem to have the same offset - certainly KerryS, Flappa & and mine are.

i cut mine to size as barry described and used et 15 offset all round, with 205 50 15, very close in places but the wheels do not look lost in the rear arches ;)

I'm thinking I may go the spacer route. My rears look a little "lost", a bit like to space saver spares....

Any good suppliers of spacers, or will any ole ford type spacers from Demon Theives or Halfrauds do .. I assume they just get clamped between wheel and hub ? ???

Wayne M :t-up:

Any good suppliers of spacers, or will any ole ford type spacers from Demon Theives or Halfrauds do .. I assume they just get clamped between wheel and hub ? ???

For security, you should get 'hub-centric' spacers. These locate on the existing hub, and then have a lip that the wheel locates on to (otherwise the only thing supporting the wheel is the studs).

I asked for a supplier of these quite recently, so a search should bring up some info.

Andy

Thanks for the advice - think I may go for spacers as my track does look a bit narrow - seems to be plenty of clearance to the arches to go up 10mm per side easily.  Are the rear hubs on the Madness from Mondeo or what?