Live axel Oil seal

Derby Allen

To be honest steve, get the diff out of the car and take it to a local gearbox/transmission place and explain what you have done. Also take all the bits with you, old and new.

You can "straighten" already crushed washers, and a slight squeezing and then tigtening by feel by an experienced gent might be the best route.

One I found myself in your position, this is exactly what I did. Sindce then i've pulled one to bits to look at it, but would still get it build by someone who knows what they are doing.

2nd best idea at this stage, and this is really a stop gap, is to use the original crush washer, and put it back together, but not quite as tight as before. Difficult to do I know, but if you are hell bent of doing it yourself this is the only solution I can think of.

3rd solution is to use the new crush washer, but were you are tightening this too is anyones guess. You might get some advice over the phone, but I was constantly told it was by feel. If they can explain what to feel for you might get lucky. However I can't but help think that this is the best path to totally destroying all the bits.

4th option and perhaps the best, get/borrow a second complete dif unit from an english axle, ask on here/local area/breakers/plays kool etc, and use this for the SVA, while getting your's done properly. Then either return to lender or keep in garage as a spare.

I would either do 1 or 4 depending on time....No i don't have a good working spare diff. Sorry.

Cheers Mark,

I will go for option 4 but think it's to late in the day with the SVA being Monday, so i have spent all night putting it back together, just hope it lasts through the SVA then i will replace it i think. will post a wanted on the site, you never know.

still got lots to do but had enough tonight.

Thanks again

Steve