Keep catch tank ready for Westy?

steveb

Right I have been selling the mods off my MR2 ready to sell it so I can get the westy.  I have a 2 litre flat backed catch tank from allisport with a 19mm inlet and a 10 mm breather.  Is it worth keeping this to put on the westy, likely a zetec or duratec engined one or shall I flog it off with my other bits and pieces?

If you're planning on competing or doing many track days, it can't hurt. 2 litres sounds an awful lot for a catch tank though...

Andy

It's suprising how fast they fill on high boost turbo cars, one trackday will see it catch a litre on the MR2.  Much less on n/a cars but still worthwhile i think.  Is the inlet a suitable size for a ford zetec or duratec ?

I would have thought it could be made to work if you really wanted to... ???

Andy

I would have thought it could be made to work if you really wanted to... ???

Andy

Well, i don't know anything about ford n/a engines but recircing any blow by oil will weaken the mixture and cause det on turbo cars, i guess this is a minor concern on an n/a but it will keep the intake temps down at least.

You've just exceeded my technical knowledge :)

Andy

All i know anything about is the 3sgte, the engine found in the celica GT4 and MR2 turbo.  Absolutely zero about anything else.  Want to learn a bit about the zetec's duratecs and Vx (vauxhall?) engines before i buy a westy.

I have a year to learn :D at least that how long it'll take me to save my decided budget.

Hi steveb,

The first question to ask is will a 2L catchtank fit?

The WF one has two inlets and one outlet and it's a PIG to fit once the engine / sterring column / bodywork is on. I've forgotten what the size of the outlets is - I'll look tonight or you could ring WF or someone else might post!

The Zetec motor has two breather outlets - one from cam cover one from crank breather system (with one way valve). I've removed the valve and piped both outlets to a Y piece then too a "plastic" catchtank - see Steppenwolf's site - I'll refit it as soon as I pass SVA this Friday!

I'm going to use the WF ali catch tank on my Blade build later.

If you want to see a Zetec install, prior to ripping off all the SVA rubbish, email / PM me I'm in Swindon.

Ta

Geoff

:)

Steve, just noticed you're in Oxford.

Get yourself along to the Chelt / Glos / North Wilts meet, last Thursday of the month. Best way to find out about these cars is to look at them, and talk to their owners.

I'm sure you'd be made welcome (particularly if you join the club ;))

Andy