Am I expecting too much?

streetdragster

Hi All,

Looking to buy a Westifeld in the near future, got to break a car first to pay for it though. I think i'm going to have about £6500 to spend, and i'm looking for an SEWi with a 2000cc Zetec engine in on throttle bodies, cycle wings, MOT and hopefully tax.

Am i realistically asking for too much car for not enough money or are their cars out there to my spec and budget?

Thanks

Matt

I think you'll be lucky to get a car of that spec, but recently prices do seem to be dropping.

6500 puts you barely into 16 valve engined territory. If youcould squeeze another 1500 or so, you'd be well into the territory where you could get a decent spec car.

Look around on here, PistonHeads etc, see what sort of cars are going for that money...

Andy

Cheers for your advice Andy, i'll have to see how much i get for this car i'm breaking and try to find some old grannys to rob :D

Thanks

Matt

I want to buy this time next year and i think it'd be nice if i could pick-up something like this for about £9000

Its should be possible another years depreciation another £1000 off the price??

my ideal car

So a more standard one for £7500 should be possible?

Just as a bit of history. I paid nearly 9k for my 1997 2 litre Zetec engined car, in 'standard' road-going trim about 2 and a half years ago. I sold it for (I think) about 8k, about a year ago. I then bought my current car (2 litre Vx, lots of track bits) for about 10k (again, about a year ago).

Andy

I want to buy this time next year and i think it'd be nice if i could pick-up something like this for about £9000

Its should be possible another years depreciation another £1000 off the price??

my ideal car

So a more standard one for £7500 should be possible?

I reckon you should be able to find something like that, accepting the fact that no 2 westy's are the same......!

The only thing I'd argue with is that depreciation doesn't work quite the same on Westy's as on "normal" cars. Once in the £8k to £10k bracket, they pretty much hold onto their value, which itself tends to be a result of the individual car's build quality and spec.

imho

I was looking about 3 months ago - guy had a factory built SEI standard Zetec, MT75 box in ok condition - 1997 I think - but with big wings - wanted between £6000 and 6500

For later model in good nick guess you will need to pay another 1000-1500

Spec' is the Important thing to remember when 'pricing up' a prospective car.

Westy with RAC Rollbar, Good engine spec', Shallow sump etc is always going to be worth more than a bog standard car.

as ANDY say's there's some Bargains about at the moment, and Alot more cars for sale than at this time last year.

But i think you'll be lucky to get a Decent Zetec on TB's for £6500  ???