Tell me about how your car drives..

Boomy

Ok, on my list of things to do i feel like the suspension needs sorting on my pre lit (thanks for the advice earlier btw).Now, as of yet i have never been in another westy or similar so i have no real frame of reference.

As it is now, the car feels superb on smooth roads and bends but hit a few bumps and she is all over the place.

It is controllable, but it's deffo not a happy bunny.It gives you a sensation like someone is lifting the front off the ground and dropping it 20 times a second.

I have changed the spax settings (if they work) and they don't seem to make much difference, so is there anyone else who hates wee bumpy bits of road as much as me out there?

I guess i would like to hear before and after tales of setups or suggestions that this is either normal or rather bad etc.I mean don't get me wrong, it's stll superb fun to drive, but i'm sure it can be better maybe.

I certainly wouldn't choose bumpy roads if I had the option of avoiding them. However, this is more a comfort thing than the car being difficult to control.

My car does have front and rear ARBs, and a set up for cross-ply tyres, so I'm not sure how valid a comparison this is...

Andy

My car does have front and rear ARBs, and a set up for cross-ply tyres, so I'm not sure how valid a comparison this is...

Andy

You need to steer clear of such luxuries to know how mine feels then probably.

Me, i just need to be able to steer. :D

Me, i just need to be able to steer. :D

Some people just want the Earth ;)

Andy

As it is now, the car feels superb on smooth roads and bends but hit a few bumps and she is all over the place.

It is controllable, but it's deffo not a happy bunny.

Boomy

Did your predecessor use it on the track? If he/she (wow, the PC-ness of this boardroom) did, you are quite likely to be running stiff springs (especially if there are no ARBs), stiffish damper settings, and quite some negative camber at the front. All of those factors (AFAIK) are likely to give you the handling you describe on a bumpy road.

Are you intending to use it for track days or sprinting? If so, you might consider doing an event to get the feel of it at the limit before changing too much.

HTH

I did check tyre pressures when i first got it, although i can't remember what they were now!

They were the same though, not too hard and not too soft.

As for using it on a track i doubt i will no, or if i do it will be a one off thing just to say i have.

I think my problem lies with it being a rather early pre lit.As you may remember i don't have adjustable top wishbones as of yet so any camber is there to stay (mostly on one wheel and not the other! ).

Plus the suspension is knocking on a bit in westfield terms i guess.

It just doesn't feel right if that makes sense.It feels kinda loose when you hit bumps as though all that 'glued to the road' and 'part of the car' feeling simply disappears and you are in the lap of the Gods.

I get the feeling someone in a newer better spec machine would drive it and suggest it is truly awful, hence me wondering what they do, as a rule, feel like to drive when things are less smooth.

pretty obvious one, but have you played with thyre pressures yet ??

What's "not too soft and not too hard"?

Something between 16psi and 20psi seems to be most people's preference.

I will check again tomorrow as i will probably be taking it to the paint shop anyway.I honestly can't remember what they were on, but it feels far more 'mechanical' than just tyre pressures if you see what i mean.

You can feel various bumps and knocks and a sort of loose feeling through and in the steering wheel when it hits a few ruts etc.

Also found a small water leak today, pah!.Spent a while sorting a small one it had in a lower hose only to now have one by what i assume is the water pump (makes note to get a crossflow manual)

Check yer nut tightness and wheel bearings also have a look for worn suspension bushes  :D  :D  :D  :D

Deffo not the nuts, had the wheels on and off many times.Also checked the bearings while trying to sort the camber issue i had and replaced the ball joints at the same time.

Bushes though...hmmm, what do worn ones look like? :D

Got any oily stains around the shocks? Sounds to me like they're knackered. Had this on a Scriocco: knocking over bumps, bouncing a bit. I thought the steering rack was worn (cos of the knocking). Turns out the shocks had worn and the oil had leaked out. New shocks fixed the noises and made a huge difference to the handling.

If the Spaxes are getting on (pre-lit spaxes???) it might be good to swap them for AVO or Gaz...

My tuppence-ha'penny worth.

Kev.