Fuel Gauge

Ted

As it says.

Yesterday I checked and adjusted the wiring connections on the fuel sender because of this problem and it seemed sorted but now it is reading full again as soon as the ignition is turned on.  I have again checked the connections but no joy.

My instruments are VDO ones.  Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can try as I am a complete novice with electrics?

I have done a search but most suggest a stuck sender.  I don't believe it can be this as it worked ok yesterday and the car has been on axle stands since.

All help gratefully received.

TED

:)  :)

remove wires from sender and bridge together this should give you full deflection on the gauge, seperate and this should let gauge go to other end. if so wiring OK.

then

remove sender from tank, connect wiring and move float arm

gauge should go up and down accordingly.

I always set fuel sender by adjusting arm length to read empty when empty! dont worry about full reading it is where it is.

All you need to know is when your about to run out.

Sorry the initial post should have said the needle is at full deflection with the ignition on.  

I had a fiddle with the wires and removed them from the sender then turned the ignition on and still got full deflection.

Does this indicate faulty wiring?  If so, any suggestions gratefully received.

I have not tried bridging them together and am away from the car until thurs but will try then.

Cheers

TED

:)  :)

If its a standard loom then check that the black wire which is your earth is going to ground. Otherwise your fuel gauge will read full if the earth/ground wire is not earthing.The fuel gauge uses earth return principle same as the the other gauges (no earth, gauges normally read full scale deflection)

Yep standard loom pre-fitted by Westfield.  If I run a separate earth wire direct to the chassis from the sender connection would this have the desired effect.

Sorry to ask such basic questions but my understanding of electrics is really minimal

Cheers

TED :)  :)

The two wires going to sender unit should be green/black an d a black.Make sure that the black wire is going to earth either by using a multi meter or as you said in your post put another earth from the sender unit to chassis.The green/black goes to the other terminal on sender unit (from the fuel gauge).

Thanks Peter,

I will try a separate wire when I get back to the car.  If it works I guess some detective work will be in order to find why the current earth isn't working.

Cheers

TED

:D  :D

Just to finish off the thread, checked everything suggested and narrowed it down to the sender.  Removed it and took it back to Westfield because the circuit board was broken.  Apparently this is the third one recently that has had this problem!!

TED