Crossflow igntion problems

Andrew Beattie

I have been trying to get my 1300 crossflow engine started, but the problem seems to be that there is no voltage across the ignition coil.

I have tested the circiuts for continuity and they seem fine. There are 12V across earth and ignition switch, earth and either side of the coil and there are 12V across the contacts and capacitor in the distributor.

Is this right? what other tests can I do?

Thanks,

Andrew B

The coil LT connections will both be at 12v when the points are open, and one at 12v and the other at 0v when the points close. If you have 12v with respect to earth on the ignition switch side then you must look to why the points side doesn't get grounded by the points. HTH ???

I am getting 12V to earth on either side of the coil with the points open or closed. There also seems to be continuity either side of the points when open or closed when the LT feed is connected. When there is no LT feed there is not continuity when the points are open.

Does this mean that there is a loom fault?

It's getting hard to tell what's what from here. All that you need is a "good" capacitor (condenser), clean points, and an earth connection via the points when they close. The coil is fed with 12v from the ignition switch and the points side of the coil stays at 12v as well when the points are open 'cos there's no circuit to ground. When the points close, though, current flows through the primary and the points side should be pulled virtually to 0v. Checking continuity, by which I assume you mean Ohms, with power applied is likely to give misleading results.

I've started the engine after cleaning the points, thanks man_on_the_clapham_omnibus.

I did not have a fuel pressure regulator though, which i will get now, and the chamber in the carb is full to the brim with fuel, which I don't think it should be. Now it won't start again, will I probably have flooded the engine aswell?  

Thanks

Andrew

A few years agos i set out on my first after winter trip on a friday night. I filled up with petrol and then as i was leaving the forecourt the engine cut in the middle of the road :devil:

I pushed it back onto the forcourt and could i find what was wrong

It was dark, cold and no tools.

I thought best call the AA before the heavens open.

To my embarisment the guy found it was dirty points :blush:

The problem is driving too many modern cars, i had  forgotten about old facioned points :bangshead:

So if its been standing check the points first should be a good rule of thumb. :)