Dipsticks!

waynem

I have a 2L Blacktop Zetec, where the dipstick is mounted towards the front on the exhaust side. This configuration fouls the exhaust manifold when fitted..

I've noticed the earlier Zetecs had the dipstick coming up through the middle of the downpipes. Is this dipstick compatible with the later Zetecs, and if so Where do I get em (besides Ford who never seem to have a thing in stock and look down their noses when you dare to mention the word Kit Car).

Thanks,

WayneM

seen one last wek on a scrappy near me . I could call in to see if its available  ???

Only if it isn't any bother, and I'm in no mega-rush.. :t-up:

I can consult the old haynes manual to get a good idea of whether the hole in the block is in the same position. If so.. Thunderbirds are go.. Haven't brought my haynes manual to work with me today though :D

Someone with a late Zetec will have found a similar problem I'm sure... Any takers ?

Wayne M

Just had a thought (they dont happen too often...) :D

I dont suppose theres a reason I cant bend my own dipstick with some pipe benders and weld a new mounting tab on is there ? Doesn't need a huuuge amount of tweaking..

No-one else had to do this ?? ???

Wayne M

Wayne,

Don't know if this helps, this is my 1800 Zetec, not sure if this is the standard set up.

Mel

4568.jpeg

4567.jpeg

Melt, That's the same setup as mine- It's just the standard one turned 180 degrees, Waynes is the later engine with the black plastic cam cover.

Yeah, it shouldn't be too difficult to bend the tube to shape, but the mounting tab will need to be modded..

See this piccy

If the hole at the bottom of the block is the same I can probably do a swap for an early Zetec dipstick. If not, then I'll mod this one. Looks like the bottom of the dipstick is the same, although I have encountered a few subtle differences between early and late engines... ;)

Theres always some minor complication bugging me :D

Wayne M

Melt, That's the same setup as mine-

And mine  :)