Which model? Your thoughts

mike150

You can drive them as gently as any other car if you've got the will power.

Is that an upgrade ?

Where can I get some  :p

You can drive them as gently as any other car if you've got the will power.

Is that an upgrade ?

Where can I get some  :p

I can only find small amounts of will power....... and they don't last very long  :D

And it's not really an upgrade, maybe that's why I haven't found any more of it?

personally i would say start from the highest point you can afford as you will want to upgrade after a year or two if ownership.  you dont have to use the power until you feel comfy with it.  

brakes, 4 points and if you believe everything you read here RAC roll bar - do a search ;) are worth having

seats are personal preference

for strickly road and occiasional track use anti roll bars are not worth it

I agree. Bite off as much as you can chew (afford). My car is 160 bhp and the first time I drove it I wanted more power. The arrival of my first child has delayed any upgrades for about 20 years! :D

Cheers guys - outstanding response!

Thanks for all your comments. Looks like the Duratec is the one to go for - which was my original thought. Just need to be careful with the spec'ing. One thing that's clear already is that there are a large number of 'options' that I didn't even know about. Looks like the visit to the factory might be longer than expected.

Jack, nice looking car. Pretty much what I had in mind - Dark blue and Black - wansn't goin' to go for the Chrome pack but might have changed my mind having seen the pic. Good job!

Couple of other questions.........

One thing that slightly concerns me are the number of references to the..... ahem....'quality' of the build manual. I take it that it does provide enough guidance to battle through the build without having to stop every 10 mins and either dial the help line or jump on the net?

Also I've read several references in Evo and the like to the build quality denting owner appeal. Do the parts fit togther realtively easily or is a fair amount of 'persuasion' required?

Finally, the standard steering rack seems a little slow at 2.5 lock to lock for a car like this. I've seen on the 'parts store' that there is a quick rack. How quick is quick and is it worth adding in at initial build rather than having to replace later on?

Looking forward to the replies.

Cheers

Mike

Tricky questions, it depends how good you are and how well you've observed other cars ;)

I'd say the manual was good enough to get the most inexperienced through the build but with help from the (excellent) helpline and the net. On the other hand, a reasonably competent builder will find the manual on it's own more than sufficient...

I reckon the build quality is good and the parts fit togethor with the minimum persuasion but I'm sure others will have a different opinion.

I *think* the quick rack is 2.2 turns. I got one on my second car, I don't really notice the difference. If you spec it up front, it'll be a minimal, if not zero cost upgrade.

Graham.

Hi Mike

When you go to the factory and place your order (which i am sure you will after driving one) make sure and haggle hard on the price. All of the options on my car i got thrown in as part of the price after a week of haggling. I managed to get chrome pack, detatchable steering wheel and white dials.

Jack

Thanks again to all.

Jack, could you post the picture of the inside of your car (that currently flashes up in your avatar). Would really like to see what the grey interior + white dials look like.

Thanks

If you're considering doing track days with the car, I'd definitely recommend a quick rack. Getting around the hairpin at Anglesey in my old car (standard rack) needed serious amounts of lock. I'm hoping that when I go back there in the new car, it'll be much better.

Andy

hey im thinking of selling my 1800 speedsport 99 v plate 170bhp scholar engined pm me if need to know more .

ps sorry if i pushed in i havent read the full list's .:d:D:D:D

Thanks Jack,

white dials it is then -Very nice! You look to have made a really tidy job of it. Like the big red starter button as well.

Sorry Chalky,

thanks for the offer, but the build's all part of the attraction.

mike