Which model? Your thoughts

mike150

Evening folks,

first post so be gentle!  

I'm in the fortunate position (taken me ten years to get here) of looking at buying either a Sport 1800 or 2000 in modular build form in the next couple of weeks. I'm off to the factory next weekend, to drive / tour / get the hard sell, but would really welcome any thoughts on the pros / cons of each model, how straightforward is the modular kit to put together and whats a realistic build time?

I've done a bit of reading around and searched on the board, but there doesn't seem to be much info on either of these models - so is anyone in the process of building one or taken delivery of a factory built car? What do you think?

One of my key concerns is whether the 2000 may be a bit too 'exciting' for normal road driving as by my calculations it'll be around the 350bhp/ton mark. On the other hand, will the 1800 provide enough entertainment once I'm used to and have 'learned' the car (plan to keep it for a number of years)?

Finally - options over and above the standard spec. At the moment looking at the brake upgrade, 4 points and leather seats, but also considering the ff and rr anti roll bars - are these worth the investment for road driving or are they mostly track focussed?

Sorry for all the questions, but have learned from previous posts on similar boards that its worth listening to those that have been their before!!

Look forward to your replies and becoming a fully paid up newbie builder in the near future.

Cheers  

Mike

Welcome Mike ................................. be prepared  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  :D  :D  :D  ;)

personally i would say start from the highest point you can afford as you will want to upgrade after a year or two if ownership.  you dont have to use the power until you feel comfy with it.  

brakes, 4 points and if you believe everything you read here RAC roll bar - do a search ;) are worth having

seats are personal preference

for strickly road and occiasional track use anti roll bars are not worth it

Hi mike

I ve just finished building a Sport 1800 and am very pleased with and finally got it on the road last week. I am still running it in but for road use it is fast enough for me as i am only 18! The throttle bodies are well worth the extra money and sound rather nice. If you are mainly using it on the road i wouldn't bother with the anti-roll bars they will make it too hard, instead spend your money on some decent shocks and springs because im not too impressed with the standard westfield ones.

Also dont look at the manual too much because it doesnt make much sense ??? westfield use new parts but dont update the manual.

Good luck

Jack

Must haves are 4 point harness and RAC rollbar. I was advised against leather seats by Westfield and advised to go for the standard sport seats. I agree with Mike, go for the best you can afford - although ISTR there have been some emission problems with the duratec - may have been sorted now, I'm sure the Duratec boys can confirm or deny this.

I have just built an 1800 madness kit (1.8 zetec, std injection) in 5 months. As others have said build manual is a guide really, plenty of help on here and Mark Walker (tech helpline) @ Westfield is superb at helping sort out any problems.

You won't get hard sell at the factory, if you drive and don't buy I'll be amazed. The cars sell themselves.

John.

Hi mike

I collected my kit 1st October 2004 and finished it in about march 2005, then spent two months sorting out and SVA date and passing first time (still cant believe it) and then another month waiting for the plates. But alot of the build time was wasted waiting for parts to arrive from westfiled which they forgot to give to me, nothing important just things like my engine wiring loom???

This is what the finished article should look like:

4409.jpeg

Jack

Hi Mike

welcome t club (well soon as you join that is )

My 2 ltr Zetec gives me 175 bhp on Dunnell ecu & throttle bodies

Power is smooth across the rev band and plenty of low end torque means you can be a lazy driver  

For town driving , its for nunney cats

bang the revs on its a wild cat !

Go with the 4 pot brakes ,can recomend them, superb!  

You WILL get used to the power and when you do you WILL crave for more (that's  a cert) .

Seats are personal things, I had the westfield 'padded' race seats which are one of the best seats available anywhere, but had to change to sports models cos me fat ass wouldnt fit properly.

Not as good imho but probably better on  long runs

Seat belts are 4 point willans harness but about to  change them .

Staying with 4 point but I think the aercraft type buckle is better in the wessy for getting  in / out of quickly .

Whichever options you go for, they wont come anywhere near as good as the smile on yer face when you get in and drive it !!!

[P.S. get that cheque in the post NOW !you know you want to ]

:D  :D  :D

Seats are personal things...

And as if to prove the point about everyone seats being a personal thing (like tyre pressures and suspension set ups), I prefer the padded race seats over the sports seats for long journeys...

Few things...

Don't get leather seats. I did and it was a big mistake. You just dread them getting wet and soaking up a ton of water! I actually swapped them for some race seats after a year or so.

Anti rollbars - I'd say don't get them up front. Depends what you do with the car as to if you find you need them later - you'll know when you need them and up front they are just more agravation for SVA. Do however make sure you specify rear wishbones with brackets for the  anti roll bar! There is no disadvantage cost or othwerise to doing this and it might save you a load of grief/expense later.

For the 1800/2000 question, consider the cost of upgrading vs the cost now, get the 2000 and take it easy at first!

Brake upgrades - Well there are a few different options out there apart from the Westfield brakes. I went for the standard Westfield setup (which, when bought with the kit are actually very cheap) then upgraded later when I knew what I wanted. Ebayed the original calipers/disks recovering most of the inital cost ;)

If the Sport 2000 is the same as the Sport 2000 S, wow!

Check the AutoCar from 28 June, 0-100-0 test.

Ranked as third car behind an Ariel Atom Supercharged and a Caterham CSR 260.

0-30mph = 1.59 sec.

to 50mph = 3.60 sec.

to 100mph  = 8.44 sec.

to 0 mph = an additional 3.67 sec.

If you can have it, congradulations.

Steve L

Seats are personal things...

And as if to prove the point about everyone seats being a personal thing (like tyre pressures and suspension set ups), I prefer the padded race seats over the sports seats for long journeys...

agree fully with that

What I meant to say ....

The sports seats where better IN MY CASE on a long run

Top Seats ?  IMO

The padded race seats are the best there is on the market , But only if you can fit inside them .

:t-up:

Sport 2000 is Duratec engined so out of the two options you mention I would go with that over the Zetec 1800.

Mike ;);):)

If the Sport 2000 is the same as the Sport 2000 S, wow!

It's not..... The engine in the Sport 2000 S is highly tuned and makes 250bhp, and the car has a sequential gearbox, and is lighter.  Very nice. Dear Santa etc.

The Sport 2000 has the Duratec I4 engine as well, but the internals are standard, so it makes about 190/195bhp.  

Personally, I'd get the Sport 2000 given the cash / choice. It is much easier when upgraditus sets in, which it usually does, and it's a new engine design. The engine will make 220bhp with just changing the cams.  The 1800 Zetec is a good engine (I've got one in mine), but to start tuning it above the 155bhp will start to cost a lot more than just swapping cams in a 2 litre Duratec.

And as others have said, if you don't want to drive too fast, it's your foot on the throttle.  My car is much faster with me at the wheel then when my dad drives. Just because a car is cabable of x doesn't mean you have to drive it to the max all the time. You can drive them as gently as any other car if you've got the will power.

Have fun.