Trackday prep.

Quick_Learner

......blank so far!!

Other than fuelin up, taping lights.

There must be loads of other things that you guys get upto to prepare prior to the event (Mallory for me July 22nd). Is it just tighen bolts, visual over the whole car??? Ive got a catch tank.

Whats the tips?

Thanks in advance. QL

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stanton

• adhawkins

• Crash Override

• Steve L

Check all bolts are secure

Check for oil / fluid leaks

Catch tank you've mentioned

Check tyres and brakes will last the day

Make sure you've got tools to sort out any niggles

Check your car will pass noise test

Remember to take a jerry can of fuel plus what's in the car

That should do for starters. Also, try a search, I asked a very similar question before my first track day.

Most important of all, start of slow and steady, and gradually build up speed. Take frequent breaks to give you and the car a rest. And top of the list, enjoy yourself :t-up:

Andy

Sorry, missed that bit.

Andy

Dont forget your driving license as a lot of organisers say " no license, no drive"

Take it easy to start with, relax and enjoy yourself.

Sorted

Check your car will pass noise test

I can confirm there won't be any noise tests  ;)  ;)  ;) that noted if something is extremely loud and obviously OTT be expected to be called in by the track marshals.

Take plenty of full fuel cans with ya  :D  :D  ;)  ;)

Its only Cadwell where you need to show your driving licence on the WSCC calendar  ;)  :D

Fluid levels are correct, as you might not have a visible leak but the levels may be low.

Tyre pressures are correct, hard track driving will warm tyres up and therefore increase your pressures through the day, I think the average is 15-20 psi cold dependant on tyre size and make.

On the day talk to others in the paddock as they will be able to give you advice on how you could go quicker, or pay a bit extra on the day and have an instructor go round with you.

HTHFN

Malc.

Edited to add: Don't forget you need a helmet that conforms to the regulations of the day - British Standards Type approval A or above IIRC, could be B, no doubt someone will correct me in due time.

No you are correct Gromit ................... some of the commercially run track days do ask for a driving licence ....... as Mallory is a private club hire they leave that up to us with our entry forms and as 99.9% of folks are WSCC members its not an issue  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

However you will need a standard driving licence to show at cadwell  :D  :D  :D

For WSCC trackdays motor-bike or motorsport helmets are fine  :D  :D

Fluid levels are correct, as you might not have a visible leak but the levels may be low.

I'd add to this that you should have your oil level at the maximum level for the track.  On a normal road car the usual acceptance of between min and max is fine, but for track use, you want to have the level up at the maximum mark, and keep an eye on it through the day.

And make sure you have  a 'cool down' lap at the end of each session for the sake of the engine and brakes. It has been known for people to have brakes 'boiling' after parking in the paddock after a session if you don't give them a chance to cool down. Best also not to use the handbrake after a session, just leave the car in gear.

Have fun!

Tyre pressures are correct, hard track driving will warm tyres up and therefore increase your pressures through the day, I think the average is 15-20 psi cold dependant on tyre size and make.

Agree  --  but remember to take a pump and a good gauge with you. Relatively small changes in pressure seem to produce quite noticeable (and sometimes even beneficial) effects on overall handling and the oversteer/understeer balance.

Lots of water... It is amazing how dehydrated you get during the day.... although you will be able purchase at the circuit at a premium.

A comfy fold away chair... it is important to relax every so often.

Torque Wrench to check wheel nuts after each session

Check tyre depths and depth of brake pads before leaving (I usually take a spare set with me)

AA Card... The car will, hopefully, have a hard day.. I have regularly seen people broken down on the way home.

Pixie Boots... much better feel than trainers on track.

A can of your favorite oil... check every session.

Gaffer Tape, just in case.

A Camera... I always forget mine.

Great stuff.... i would say good for starters but theres loads of tips - thanks all!

Now my only question is - with bringing all this kit (chair, tools, fuel etc), im driving the car there and im on my tod. Will all this stuff be ok left in the paddock while im off galavanting on the track? Im guessing so, but best i ask now.

Thanks again.