Coil - is it broken

dm1

Is there a simple way to check if the ignition coil is working as there does not seem to be a spark from the HT lead. Its a xflow.

Cheers,

Dave.

Pull the king lead off the dizzy, and with some suitably insulated pliers/grips, hold it *close* to the chassis and crank the car over. If you get a nice fat spark, it's working...

Also check that you have 12 volts going to the dizzy aswell....

Cheers for that chaps.

I put a meter on the coil and its reading 11.5v with ignition on - down to about 7 when cranking.

There is no sign of a spark from king lead.

I've fitted an Aldon ignitor and have been repeatedly trying to start the engine. Could this have burnt out the coil ?

11.5 volts at the coil? You have a flat (maybe knackered) battery. The low tension cables should be supplying the same volts that the battery has. Have you checked the battery?

or something is shorting out and leaving you with nowt to use across the coil. check you haven't got any other circuits knackered by pulling the other fuses out and rechecking the voltage across the coil..

step by step it's the only way...

Check your battery voltage first though as blatman says, there's no point going any further if you have a flat battery.

12.4v upwards is what you need, fully charged is approx 12.75 if I remember correctly.

I looked at the battery. I'm pretty sure it was reading 12.7v. It could well be going flat, the amount of times I've been turning it over. The coil reading was while I was jumping the battery from the tintop.

Perhaps I should have include these details in the first post  :durr:

I'll check again tonight.

Thanks

If you need a coil i have a Westfield supplied one for CVH in garage.......Andy

Seems pretty obvious the battery must be OK or it wouldnt crank

Something is pulling the 12v feed to the coil down

You should isolate the coil and check the 12v Low tension supply ( without the coil in circuit )

If its now OK , suspect the coil has shorted turns or insulation broken down etc. and will need replacng

The best check of all would be  by sustitution  

HTH