Yet another cooling system issue..

waynem

Has anyone made an attempt to make use of the Westfield provided cooling hoses/piping when using a Raceline waterrail with a heater ? Also, I have a blacktop Zetec which has a slightly different waterpump location I think..

Seems to me that most of the hose kit isnt relevant for me....

Ho Hum.. Gives me an excuse to get some nice silicone ones..

Also, while I'm at it, the heater inlet/outlets seem quite "high" compared to the expansion tank. This will no doubt cause some airlock problems. At first I though I'd mounted the heater incorrectly, but there is very little room for adjustment between the tranny tunnel and the top of the scuttle for it to be grossly wrong. I could move the outlet holes in the scuttle down, but this won't make any difference to airlock problems as the top of the heater matrix itself is still the highest point. I'm probably pre-empting problems and being paranoid as the plumbing is still non-existant..

Anybody else noticed this ?

Ta,

Wayne M

I must admit that I thought the heater arrangement as you describe would give all sorts of problems with air locks but it hasn't (yet).

I seem to get very good flow through the heater pipes, and the heater works well, especially in this cold weather :D

I mounted the expansion/header tank as high as I could as I could see heater filling problems if I didn't. When I filled the system, I accidentally left an open port on the Polo rad - found when I heard water running out  :(  - and I also cracked open the heater pipe to expell any trapped air there. I suspect that the open vent on the rad actually helped.

Got to do it all over again soon to put A/F in instead of Severn & Trent's best.

Kerry S

I guess when the engine is cold (thermostat closed) there is quite a high flow rate through the heater. This may push the air through the system.. I need to decide if its better to have the heater flow from bottom to top, or top to bottom (as per main rad.) If I get it wrong, I suppose its easy to swap.  

If I ditch the Westfield hoses, I'm going to run the expansion and heater return hoses as close to the pump inlet as possible. Someone on these boards has mentioned that its a good way of reducing airlock problems. The cost of the silicone hose is starting to add up, but if a jobs worth doing....

Wayne M