CX20e & opel gearbox

geofff

Hi All,

I have a mate who's putting a CX20e in a Ford Anglia or 100e or 105e (not a 100% sure which).

Either way he's looking for the cheapest option gearbox wise, any ideas?  ???

I have done a search but all I get is Type 9 or E and no mention of manta box which I think he can source easily and cheaply.

Any other ideas for the conversion welcome. I will mail them on to him - he's just PC'd himself up so internet should be his next stop :D

Ta

Geoff

:)

Manta 'box will fit fine. I don't think it's as strong as a type 9 though.

IIRC, Boghouse Beeland had one in his Westfield...

That's what's in mine...

Andy

Briefly :)

Engine fired into life at about 9pm on Sunday.

We spent a while looking at the ECU to see if we could retard the ignition timing a little, and it appears we've blown the coil... :down:

New one ordered today, should be here tomorrow. Let's hope that's all it is!

You're welcome to come look at my installation anytime...(it's not going anywhere atm ;))

Andy

Some version of the Opel Omega (is that called the "Cavalier"??) fits to the xe engine. Don't know anything more tho.

Hi,

Andy - yes please. Erhh were are you exactly? PM?  

Mike-SEiW I think that will be front wheel drive?  ???  The Anglia install will be longitudinal like the WF.

Ta

Geoff

Hi All,

I have a mate who's putting a CX20e in a Ford Anglia or 100e or 105e (not a 100% sure which).

Either way he's looking for the cheapest option gearbox wise, any ideas?  ???

I have done a search but all I get is Type 9 or E and no mention of manta box which I think he can source easily and cheaply.

To get an XE up and running on a Type 9 will cost you the extra cosr of the bellhousing conversion, over and above the price of the Manta box.

However, type 9's are *far* easier to come by than the relevant Manta box, and are *far* better supported in terms of spare parts, upgrades etc.

Cheapest does not necessarily mean best in the longer term...

HTH Stu. :t-up:

Hi Stu,

I've learnt that lesson the hardway already.

However I find it difficult to help others stop making the same mistake. Maybe it's an experience you have to learn the hardway?  Or never learn?  ???

Ta

Geoff

Draw diagrams...

Geofff/Mike SEiW.

Omegas are rear wheel drive and have the same name in the UK as Europe. The Omega started life as the Carlton in the UK before the swoopy bodywork and a name change to Omega. A Cavalier was called an Ascona in Europe and only the early Mk1's were RWD. Mk2 on were all FWD, IIRC. Ascona/Cavalier became Vectra...

OK, sorry :D  I meant Omega (RWD version) and the version I mean is the early 90's version that is available with the 2.0 8v or 16V engines, so they should fit straight off.

This bodystyle:

Omega_vorm_Haus.jpg

Ahhhh,

In that case Mike SEiW was right -  the gearboxes probably will fit the cx20e.

Ta

Geoff

Doh!  Must post quicker!