rust behind rear wheel arches?

vx220

hi,

about a year ago i posted about buying a westfield and using it all year round. i got some helpful replies, but due to "unforseen circumstances" i haven't been able to follow my project up.

now, it looks like it's back on again!

so, any thoughts appreciated...

at around the same time (as i said, about a year ago) there was some talk of chassis rusting behind rear wheel arches. every time i do a search using "rust" i get back pages and pages about everything but!

can anyone give me the link, or just re visit the topic (with solutions?)

thanks in advance

dylan

every time i do a search using "rust" i get back pages and pages about everything but!

Thats because rust appears in the words trust and thrust, which are used often enough on here. Some lateral thinking and a longer search string will be needed. Instead of rust, try "cor*osion and chassis" but without the quotes. The star symbol is a wild card character and will make sure that whether corrosion is spelt with one or two R's, the search will find it...

Thats because rust appears in the words trust and thrust, which are used often enough on here.

You called Mr Blatman :p

Thats because rust appears in the words trust and thrust, which are used often enough on here.

You called Mr Blatman :p

:D  :D  :D

Hello :)

still no luck! i think it was affecting one type of rear wheel arch more than the other? or it was easier to sort out on detachable arches? something like that...

i would also like any info or opinions on keeping a westy outside(!;) and day to day use.

I panelled the outer chassis sides inside the wheel wells with aluminium as well and then cut and siliconed small aluminium panels to fit against  the fibre glass wheel wells to seal everything at the front (of rear well). The rear of the wells may need more elaberate paneling, but it could be done.

still no luck! i think it was affecting one type of rear wheel arch more than the other? or it was easier to sort out on detachable arches? something like that...

Sounds to me like you're confusing Westfields with C******m's. I don't recall any discussions that sound like that, but I'll have a look...

I panelled the outer chassis sides inside the wheel wells with aluminium as well and then cut and siliconed small aluminium panels to fit against  the fibre glass wheel wells to seal everything at the front (of rear well). The rear of the wells may need more elaberate paneling, but it could be done.

Part of the ally panelling should include some ally sheet with a stencilled/scored pattern on that you cut out to make front and rear panel fillers to prevent water/crud getting between the body and the inner tub. If done carefully, they're very effective. Actually, even if they're done quite badly (like on my sprint car :0 ) they're still very effective...

Part of the ally panelling should include some ally sheet with a stencilled/scored pattern on that you cut out to make front and rear panel fillers to prevent water/crud getting between the body and the inner tub.

Yes i remember them, back when i built mine i could not see how they would fit (too smalll) so came up with a much better way of doing it. :D

i would also like any info or opinions on keeping a westy outside(!;) and day to day use.

Thats an easy one

move to california :)  :)

Sounds to me like you're confusing Westfields with C******m's. I don't recall any discussions that sound like that, but I'll have a look...

can't have been c******ms! i'm too fat for one of those. TBH a gentle dieting plan will probably be necessary for a westie. definitely here.

anyone enquired about having steel frame galvanised before panelling? and how about powdercoating after panelling goes on? and... any alternatives to powdercoating?

really sorry if any of this has been dealt with before.

thanks for replies