Basic Set-up for SVA

MAT1800

Hello,

I spent this weekend desperately trying to get ready for SVA on Thursday. Still plenty of problems....

However I was trying to get the basic camber/toe in etc set right.  I was also running out of time though, and with so much else to do I left it with the settings as below, hoping this would be sufficient for SVA, and then I would get it professionally set up.  So do you think the set up below will be OK, for a shortish trip to the SVA centre and back??

Front (both) camber 1 degree negative, toe in about 5mm measured from the wheel rim front to back, off a string line parallel to centre line.

The rears (both) are about 1 degree again negative camber and toe OUT of about  5mm.

I did wonder if I needed to change the rear toe, although I then thought that dispite the time taken to set up the car on a level surface, the string line etc etc. that there will be ofcourse inaccuracy in this system and that could easily be about 5mm out.

So what do you think, leave as it is for SVA, time is short and a lot to do, or does it need tweeking. ? ? ?

The rears (both) are about 1 degree again negative camber and toe OUT of about  5mm.

VERY VERY BAD on the toe out front. You want a smidge of toe in, and if you can, about a half degree of neg camber.

Front (both) camber 1 degree negative, toe in about 5mm measured from the wheel rim front to back, off a string line parallel to centre line.

I would say too much toe in. Back it off to parralel or just a smidge (again) of toe in.

If time is precious, do the rears. If you have time, attend to both ends...

Cheers Blatman,

I'll change the toe on the rears then to slight toe in, and adjust the camber whilst I'm there.

I will do the front if I have time, but the list at the moment seems to be getting longer rather than shorter.  :bangshead:

Thanks again.

Mat

but the list at the moment seems to be getting longer rather than shorter

I know precisely how you feel...

Mat,

Just done the same some two weeks ago, on my SEW (No rear settings to adjust).

Tried setting it myself to zero toe in on front, in the end drove 0.5mile to local garage for a toe in check, i was a good way out. (It was toe out....NOT good) sorted for £25...this helped the self centreing no end.

So my advice is take it up road to local garage, or see if you can borrow the pukka kit

Andy :D

(It was toe out....NOT good)

Sorry, but not necessarily, (on the front at least).

Mine runs 20 minutes toe out on the front as set up by Plays Kool, and I've been very pleased with the way it handles.

The steering also self centres a dream.

Mat

Check tyre pressures too - my set of wheels as supplied by WF were at 26 to 30 psi, seems about 18 fr and 20 rear is starting point.

Kerry S

PS Good luck

Tried setting it myself to zero toe in on front, in the end drove 0.5mile to local garage for a toe in check, i was a good way out. (It was toe out....NOT good) sorted for £25...this helped the self centreing no end.

So my advice is take it up road to local garage, or see if you can borrow the pukka kit

That was my fear, that adjusting a degree hear, a few millimeters there, when my system of measuring is based on bits of string seemed a little futile.

I'm going to try as blatman suggested to get the rears certainly better, and then the fronts if I can. But then If it's possible I'll go down to the garage tommorow, only 2 mins away and see if they can check it over for me.

Thanks for the advice on the pressures Kerry, I'll check them too.

Cheers

Mat